Tom Evans

Fusion tutorials?

There's always been a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. A lot of these were for very much earlier versions of Fusion - even going back to the days when it was owned by Eyeon, so they may not be terribly useful. See the Vimeo channel...

https://vimeo.com/channels/fusion

As far as the latest (standalone) version is concerned, there's very basic ones like these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrCoB7mbzw&t=534s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOVvXBPuEM

The version that's included in Resolve is laid out slightly differently. There's a Blackmagic video that takes the Fusion node for a spin, but it gets into advanced effects such as 3D and particles pretty quickly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-Js1UA1OY

Jonny Elwyn has a whole section on Fusion on his website...

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/getting-started-with-fusion-9/

You can also try sites like Creative Cow and Premiumbeat.

Moviola (which has recently become free to everyone) has some stuff on Resolve for those used to working in Nuke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just been having a play with Resolve 15 on my laptop and on the whole it's been OK. A couple of crashes, but I could never reproduce it a second time around. Fusion works on my setup, albeit very slowly - I'm only getting playback of a few frames a second, and that's before I've added any effects. I'm not expecting much performance on a laptop, but it seems slower than I remembered using Fusion 9 standalone. I don't see the proxy setting icon like there used to be in Fusion 9, so I'm not sure if it's using the proxy setting from Resolve.

Nicolas, your problem might be to do with your graphic chip or driver - I've got a mobile Nvidia chip on my laptop (M4000) and it seems to work with this setup. I suggest you try forcing Fusion to work with your CPU only. You can change this by going to the System Configuration settings and ticking the box that says 'Always run Fusion on CPU'

• Like 1

Hi Kat. 

Thank you for your kind words!

The Fusion Essentials series has been very well-received by our members so we have started to record a full "DaVinci Resolve Fusion for Finishing Artists"-series that will follow up where Kevin left. We can't wait to tell you more about it. 

And... We just wrapped up a new course about beauty retouching that will be available soon!

• Like 2
On 12/14/2018 at 9:38 PM, Lowepost said:

Hi Kat. 

Thank you for your kind words!

The Fusion Essentials series has been very well-received by our members so we have started to record a full "DaVinci Resolve Fusion for Finishing Artists"-series that will follow up where Kevin left. We can't wait to tell you more about it. 

And... We just wrapped up a new course about beauty retouching that will be available soon!

Is there already a release date in your mind? thanks.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, Ron Schieffer said:

Is there already a release date in your mind? thanks.

Hi Ron! We renamed the finishing course to "Introduction to visual effects in DaVinci Resolve Fusion and the beauty course is now in the course list.

I also agree that a Basic Fusion tutorial for those that have not a clue about motion graphics would be great. Fusion is the Toughest part by par inside Davinci Resolve. There are hundreds of Davinci Resolve Color grading that repeat themselves adnauseum but great Fusion tutorials can be counted with 1 hand. Please many people would be very grateful if you focus more into this overwhelming piece of software. It is tough,complex,convoluted not intuitive at all. A step by step guide from the basics would be really helpful.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will visit the channel on Vimeo you mentioned. As I am starting I need basic tutorials, very simple stuff so that a-ha moment gets me because every video I see on youtube even for simple actions my mind explodes.......This days of confinement I hope I can get a grip of this beast.

I missed those as I could not find the "Fusion Fundamentals" in the Lowepost library and the  "Introduction to visual effects in Fusion" was to advanced for me as I could not make my mind around how the whole node organization worked from the start especially coming from Photoshop that works with layers. Now that I have followed the Blackmagic official Fusion in Davinci 45 minutes video and that of VFX I understand more how to organize the node structure. I am sure that I can jump now into the "Introduction to visual effects in Fusion" one.

Thank you very much for pointing me to those two courses.

Those are two really great courses and the basics are all covered very well, but I agree they aren't very easy to find. Maybe create a flight path or organize the Fusion courses in its own category? It's easy to get lost when the library is growing. 

• Like 1

Just started the Fusion Fundamentals. That is exactly what I was looking for. Very well explained and at the right pac (slow) for beginners. Really wish I could have discovered sooner. Double thumbs up for the teacher. There are so many tutorials in youtube where people run to fast for non native english speakers and explain too many concepts at once that it is really great to be able to have this one to slowly bake in all the instrument this software has to offer.

Edited by Cristian Baitg
  • Like 2