Emily Haine

Noise reduction in Baselight

You can use the 'Temporal Degrain' operator for it. For heavy noise use the extended ranges. When motion artefacts get too nasty you should try to increase the 'Flow Radius', but this will also make it much slower. Additionally there is also a spatial DeNoiser hidden in the advanced parameters. Also check the channel weights, because sometimes the noise is concentrated in one channel (blue or red). Usually it is best to DeNoise early in the stack. 

In some occasions I use the 'soften' tool for it, but only in specific areas e.g. keyed shadows.

I use 'Median' to clean up mattes, but if it works in Your case then its okay.

If I just want to tackle chroma noise, I apply the spatial tool of the 'Temporal Degrain' in 'RLab' color space. 

And last but not least: In Baselight 5 there will be a completely new and more powerful DeNoise tool, that is optimised for the noise of digital cameras. 

• Like 6

I am really waiting for the Baselight V5 Denoiser.
Temporal Degrain is ok, but more like a hammer. Everything gets soft very fast.

In some cases with really bad noise I use a very soft degrainer on the whole image.
Then I key e.g. the shadows and use a second degrainer on it.

Baselight might get very slow once you use it. Especially with two degrainers.

• Like 5

I confirm the baselight 5 denoiser are far more better than the predecessor temporal degrain. You simply select a region and apply the denoise with some tweaking value like  neatvideo and the result are good!

• Like 4

In baselight now Neatvideo work, but on Baselight TWO systems (Neatvideo will use the terminal computer CPU like i5 or i7 I don't know exactly rather than the CPU of workstation process NODE) it's slower than Baselight ONE systems (in this case it will use the CPU of the workstation). It will work well on Imac Pro with a Baselight assit, I done this way for de-noising some shot and blend it on timeline of main workstation at color-grading session, but I will prefer to do it directly in front of Projector.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Yov Moor said:

In baselight now Neatvideo work, but on Baselight TWO systems (Neatvideo will use the terminal computer CPU like i5 or i7 I don't know exactly rather than the CPU of workstation process NODE) it's slower than Baselight ONE systems (in this case it will use the CPU of the workstation). It will work well on Imac Pro with a Baselight assit, I done this way for de-noising some shot and blend it on timeline of main workstation at color-grading session, but I will prefer to do it directly in front of Projector.

Thanks, hopefully the teams can smooth it out for better rendering/playback.