lewis jacobs

Fixed node tree

Organization isnt my strongest attribute and colourgrading is relatively new to me. I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations on fixed node tree layouts that i could use accross multiple projects?

Thanks in avance

We have a tutorial on Fixed Node Trees now being worked on (literally as we speak), and I hope to have it done within the month. No promises, but it will give you about a dozen examples of different node trees you can use, explains the thought process behind each one, and also will explain how to build a Fixed Node Tree from scratch. 

One key is to understand the Image Processing Order of Operations. This is such an important topic, it's given its own chapter in the Resolve manual, Chapter 141, starting on p. 2806. The point is to understand how one node will affect the nodes coming after it, and how it's possible to damage the image if you (say) deliberately crush it in one node, then try to bring everything back in a subsequent node. This is particularly crucial if you use LUTs, which can have a destructive effect on the image.

I'm also a stickler for labeling every node, and that's so that you can understand the signal flow and what each node is doing. This can be very important if you come back to a project six months or a year later, and can understand how and why certain shots were changed. Splitting up different kinds of functions can also help the client demonstrate how a shot was changed and (hopefully) improved, a node at a time.

• Like 4