Priyanka Patel

Perception of the Colour Green

Was speaking to a couple of colour graders about this game where colour perception is basically tested.
Green seems to be the colour round where most people fail!! Pics attached. I find it so hard to tell the difference personally, and most people seem to mess up on greens as well. Is there a scientific explanation for this? Why green?

tapbuddytap.mindbrain.toys

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

• Like 3

My guess is that the creators of the game did not pay enough regard for human color perception. 

I recommend to read a bit about MacAdam ellipses. An average human can not distinguish the color at the center of the ellipse from all colours inside it. In this picture the ellipses are 10x magnified in size, I overlayed the sRGB gamut, which is the one a computer display is usually working in. It is very obvious that colour differences in the green area are much more difficult to notice (ellipses are bigger).

To explain the reasons for these perceptual differences, is beyond my knowledge.

CIExy1931_MacAdam_sRGB_overlay.png

• Like 2

When you look at the nonlinear response and overlaps of the three types of cones in 'normal' colour vision, it's a wonder that we are able to  distinguish such a  large range of colours (see image). It just shows how much processing our brain does!

human_cone_action_spectra.gif

One reason we might be poorer at distinguishing hues of green is that the rods in our eyes (which are responsible for the eye's acuity) are mostly sensitive in the green part of the spectrum. Could the signal from the rods be polluting that from the green cones? These curves are known to peak at slightly different wavelengths across the human population, and one type of red-green blindness is caused by the red and green curves virtually overlapping.

If you want to have a go at a fun test of your colour acuity, try the X-rite colour challenge at...

http://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Human_spectral_sensitivity_small.jpg

Edited by Bruno Mansi
  • Like 1