Tom Evans

Microsoft is the new Apple

On 26/10/2016 at 7:24 PM, Tom Evans said:

What do you think about this new slick Creative workhorse? 

Looks nice, but I'm always worried about how these sort of devices will perform. Looking at the specs, you can only have a maximum of 4GB GPU memory and 32GB main memory. Also a maximum of 2TB hybrid drive, which isn't a lot these days. Looks like no thunderbolt or USB 3.1, which I think is a big mistake. If you go with these specs and an i7 processor the price is over $4000!

For that price you can buy a decent HP workstation and a Wacom Cintiq 24HD display tablet, which will do the same thing. It won't look as pretty, but you'll have a more powerful system with lots of upgrade potential.

Edited by Bruno Mansi
  • Like 5
11 hours ago, Tom Evans said:

Is Apple out of the game? My impression is that most professionals have opened their eyes for the other systems lately.

There's been lots of discussion about this on the 'Lift Gamma Gain' forums. Some of he real Apple diehards are choosing to be brave and go the Hackintosh route. The rest seem split between an HP/Dell workstation or building a custom PC system. The general tone of the discussions is that there's little hope that Apple are going to come out with a new Mac Pro that's going to fulfill their needs.

• Like 1

It's been said before but 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area' can probably mean anything really. Adding a few USB-c ports and little PRO components/approach to hardware won't do it either. As much as I have been a die hard user of Mac's since '96 I've tried the Hackintosh route and it didn't leave me happy. In the end of the the day it is the creative work that counts. If the machine I can do it on delivers, then I am happy. A no compromise solution.

Tim about doing more Pro... Tim Cook about Pro products

Maybe in few years we will all go to AMD cpus's with computer company no one knows yet.
(look their yesterdays news with dual cpu's with 64 cores on desktop and possibly 16 gpu support)

I really agree on that we go on with our work and creativity, some boxes are not as nice maybe by UI but
they get the jobs done while others make mobiles.

When it appeared that Apple will not be good as computer company i also skipped it as phone company.

To be honest, I've never understood why people are so partisan over their preferred OS. From my perspective, they're all pretty similar in function and it's the actual software that I run which makes the biggest difference to me. Whether its Resolve, Media Composer or After Effects, they all look (and behave) pretty much identically under the Mac or Windows OS.

When I first started working in our industry, it was IBM computers running DOS, but I spent many years on Mac systems because that's the hardware and OS that worked with the editing software I was using. It was only when only when we went to an Avid Symphony system that we jumped to Windows and IBM hardware simply because (at that time) Apple didn't have workstations that allowed for all the extra hardware required. Apple somewhat rectified the situation when they adopted Intel CPUs and their 'cheese-grater' workstations, but by then, many of us had spent a lot of money on Windows software. If Apple had allowed us to run Windows natively on their systems without emulation software, we might have gone with one of their workstations, as they were a nice machines.

I think this was an era when companies like Apple prided themselves on producing the best systems they could, and we were happy to pay lots of money for them - and charge our customers accordingly! Now everything's been driven by profit margins and there's no room for the idea that "if we build the best we can, the customers will come". Apple and their shareholders know this, and no matter how large the company is, they aren't going to invest the time and resources on projects that account for 1% of their business. Apple will stick with what they know the majority of their customers want, and that's the world of iphones, ipads and imacs.

For media professionals like us, we have to accept that the future is likely to be Windows (or even Linux) based hardware. It might seem like a hard thing to accept, but put in perspective, the change is much easier than the one we (here in the UK) had when we changed our currency from one based on 240 pence in the pound to one base on 100 pence!

• Like 2