Nicolas Hanson

Match Alexa and RED footage

I have a mixed timeline with both Alexa 65 and RED Epic footage. I would like to know if I could do anything to match the footage before applying my main correction? Any transform LUTs, gamma corrections or color space transformations that could help bringing the footage closer to each other?

There is some ways yes. One would be to go with ACES and work in there (the main idea is to get all the material sort of similar in starting point).

Second way is to do manual transform depending on your tool.

Now the question is if you tool of choice will work for your task.

• Like 3

I guess camera dedicated looks are somewhat dated concept now with ACES and digital era. You want good starting point and build your look on top of it. Sure some cameras have more "character" in them but with multiple cameras on same timeline you mostly want them to mach. If not then it is simple you just use it as is.

I have not seen red used for looks, maybe Helium will change that. Ok i have heard "alexa look" but we know it is the crap idea from mis informed people give you on ungraded flat images which is not a look. I have had that few times. "Lets not loose Alexa look"

Maybe you had something different in mind?

• Like 2

Thank you for your great answer. That was exactly what I had in mind, but in my experience the different camera footage behave very differently. I prefer the skin tones and high light roll off from Alexa and the way Red capture night exteriors. That is categoristics that I'm unsure that a color transform can cope with. If it was that easy, why should people shoot with Alexa when the can have the same results with Red? 

Edited by Nicolas Hanson

Usually there are many reasons. Budget, availability, DOP is used to .... and so on. Take your pick.

We as colorist have to work with material we get and have to make it as good as possible (taste and artistic goals are totally different topic also).

• Like 1