Margus Voll

BL and aces pushing hard

Hi.

I wonder if you see ever material breaking up while using aces?

What i mean is if shadow gets rather deep i get insane snow of super saturated pixels like noise in another platform.
So i wonder if BL does the same thing or if it is handled better?

My assumption is that non aces tools do not do that because of the clever math.

@Margus: Are you using ACEScc or ACEScct as a working space? ACEScc might make noise in under-exposed shots a lot more visible, because it increases the contrast in the blacks if you push up a shot heavily. Curves like ACEScct, T-Log, LogC, etc. avoid that by using a toe in the shadows and are better suited as working space.

The out of gamut colours that Jussi mention need to be dealt with accordingly. The T-Log / E-Gamut working colour space is optimised for typical out of gamut colours of current cameras. Alternatively working with the native primaries of the main camera sources (LogC / WideGamut, 3G10Log / REDWideGamutRGB, S-Log3 / S-Gamut3.cine, V-Log / V-Gamut, etc.) might avoid them on input side. But when you are running into out of gamut artefacts on the output side (e.g. in the RRT) during grading you need a tool to deal with that.

In Baselight we have the CompressGamut tool which deals with out of gamut problems in both cases. It gently moves colours back into a target gamut without affecting the overall look. And it can bring back even negative code values, so it also works nicely in smaller working gamuts like AP1.