11 hours ago, Tom Evans said:

This format also whispers a long goodbye to the Apple format that we all love so much...

If you're talking about Apple Quicktime then yes, it does seem to be slowly being written out of the requirements of most newer software versions. Prores however, still seems to be going strong. Lots of new cameras will have Prores as a recording format, whereas DNxHR isn't so common. This could be due to the fact that traditionally, Avid have charged manufacturers for using their codecs, so those that incorporated them into their products have often passed the charge on to customers. I know this to be the case with some hard disk recorders. I would have thought Apple would also want to charge, but I've never heard of Prores being a paid option.

Some of the popular video software doesn't like certain versions of the Avid codecs. Nuke Studio for example, doesn't seem to support the MXF atom files that Avid generates in it's Mediafiles folders, which makes AAF linking a pain, as you have to transcode the footage to something Nuke can use, (Like Prores).

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Abby Bader said:

When the first Resolve was put on the market you had to buy a separate DNxHD license. Avid don't change for it anymore and it's my impression that it slowly takes the position that ProRes have had the last years.

You may be right, but there still seems to be a slower take-up for the DNxHR codecs. For example, AJA have announced that they've added DNxHD support for their Ki Pro Ultra 4K Recorder/Player/Monitor.

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/09/aja-ki-pro-ultra-adds-avid-dnxhd-support?utm

However, there's no mention of DNxHR codecs, which you'll need to capture UHD or 4K. The specs clearly show that if you want to record above HD resolutions, you have to use ProRes. Since AJA have gone to the trouble of adding Avid codec support, why not include the DNxHR codecs? Seems damn strange to me!

• Like 2