Monica Escalante

Tips for Assistant Colorists

Hi Monica.

Just read one of the many color assistant requirements in the job section to get an overview of what is expected. Basically you should be able to conform and deal with all kinds of technical issues at a high level to make sure the colorist can focus on the job. And, It's not uncommon that the colorist set the look and leave the rest to the assistants.

Edited by Tom Evans
  • Like 3

Note: this doesn't want to be a polemic. 

I have reached out to people working as assistant or junior colorist in big companies (in london)

I wanted to know whats the real deal in those position and how's the market. 

The thing that hit me the most was:
"you get in as an assistant you will die as an assistant. "

I have been told that to become a colourist you need to have a client portfolio to bring with you (this was about the feature film industries, not commercial) that was basically impossibile to become a colourist starting as an assistant.

In the commercial field it was more, if you are an assistant you are one of the many, the only chance you have to step up the ladder is that the colourist goes away and leave a position open, that a new colorist doesn't get hired and that you between the many are asked to get the position.
Practically a bet that could last tens of years and could bring to nowhere.

Now I'm asking to you, is this true?
I'd be happy to hear a different opinion

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tom Poole said:

My last two assistants (last 5 years) are now colorists at Company 3 and doing great. They both started in the machine room and moved up. I would rather have someone with a great personality and street smarts,than somebody who is techy.

Unfortunately, the apprentice approach to Assists is dying out - but not on my watch. 

I'd love to assist/apprentice for you. Unfortunately all my experience is in stills retouching/color. You've been my fave colorist for a while. Actually are the main reason I even know what  a colorist is. 

@Tom Evans Thanks Tom! Everyone can learn a lot just from compiling all those job postings. Can’t say I haven’t done that already but it’s good to get people’s personal opinions too.

@Tom Poole Keep doing you! The assistant/mentor relationship is actually one of my favorite things about post. I feel like you don’t really get that in other areas of filmmaking, but maybe thats just me. Also, this is probably a good quote to think about for people who hire-

“Don’t hire anyone you wouldn’t want to run into the hallway at three in the morning.” - Lorne Michaels

@Orash Rahnema It’s a great practice. It kindof reminds me of really traditional Italian shoemakers and their apprentices. If anything it seems the main deal is just to work hard and learn as much as you can so you’re ready when it’s time to move up.

@cameronrad If you have the eye for it you're already doing well! Also Resolve is free so you can learn the interface.