Matt Floryan

Using Avid Artist Color with Baselight Editions

There are a number of steps that need to be followed to get this to work.

I'm assuming that you've got your Artist Color successfully connected to your network via Ethernet, that you've installed the Eucon software and that it sees your panel.

If you've got this far, your Artist Color is probably getting it's IP address automatically by the router using DHCP. I would strongly recommend you change this behaviour to having a static address, as Baselight will need to be told this address in the setup, and you don't want this changing once you've set it up - which could happen under DHCP.

The Avid documentation for the Artist Color has instructions on how to do this, but basically it involves getting into the relevant menu by holding down both PAGE keys whilst powering on. I've set mine to an IP range I reserved specifically for static addresses - in my case 192.168.0.150.

Baselight communicates directly with the panel through Ethernet, so this conflicts with the Eucon software, which usually grabs the panel when you power it up.This is fine for use with MC or Resolve but not with Baselight Editions. You either need to shut down the Eucon software or remove the panel from the list of 'My Surfaces' within the Econ software.

Once you've done all of the above, you can start Editions from within MC and going into the configuration settings to set up the panel. The menu should be fairly self-explanatory, but here is where you'll need to specify the IP address you set up earlier. Once you restart MC and Baselight, you should be good to go.

Things that might help here...

1) Once you've successfully removed Eucon's control over the Artist Color, the panel indications should show a row of 'Avid' legends.

2) If you've done everything right, (and Baselight is communicating with your panel) the indicators will change to much smaller lettering which reflects the adjustable parameters in the current Baselight page.

Good luck!

Bruno! Thank you so much. All I had to do was exit out of Eucon and it kicked on. Amazing. Is there any customization that can be done to the panel? Is there any good training on using the Avid color with Baselight? Basically looking to see what all the functionality it can bring to the UI.

Glad to see it worked for you.

There's training tutorials available on the Filmlight web site.

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/training/resources/bleditions/baselightforavid.php

As far as customisation is concerned, one of the things the Eucon software gave you was the ability to customise the the function keys. Since you have to disable Eucon to run Baselight, that option is gone. There's nothing in the menus to allow you to customise the panel, so you're pretty much stuck with the default assignments.

I'm attaching a document that shows what the various buttons are currently assigned to.

I was told about a file in one of the Baselight folders (in C:\Program Files\Avid\AVX2_Plug-ins\Baselight\etc) which sets the panel assignments, but I've no idea how you'd hack into this file.

Avid Artist with Baselight Editions 5.docx