Anton Meleshkevich

Luma contrast (log grading)

Hey, everyone!

I'm grading a music video on Davinci Resolve right now. I have prores log footage. Typical workflow: offset, contrast before log-to-rec lut. Nothing special.
I can increase contrast by decreasing offset and increasing YRGB gain. Which is typical. But I can also increase contrast by decreasing offset and increasing just Y (luma) gain. The result is less saturated obviously.

So my question is what is more, so called "scene referred". I know, that it sn't ACES. But I tested and found offset control is the closest to real exposure. So what about contrast? Do luma contrast (without s-curve of course) more natural and mathematically closer to real world than (y)RGB contrast? Let's imagine that contrast control even exist in real world.

The different channels got a numerical value that is pre-set in every color corrector. That means if you change one of those numerical values without changing the others you will break the natural relationship between them. The other way around, by grouping them all together you will retain the relationship. That said, it will only be as natural as your initial starting point, that often points to how the camera is set up to reflect the real world. 

• Like 1