Mark Mulcaster

High-pass filters\ edge detection sharpening

Hiya!

My first thread i have a few user questions hope someone can help me with - i hope people dont mind me asking or think im being lazy in not figuring it out myself - i probably am! lol

Im making the transition from Mistika to baselight so a couple of queries of silly things that ive yet to work out - part of the trouble and fun of working on a new system!

I work in UHD a lot and i currently have a lot of 1080p footage i need to upscale to 3840x2160. I have Formats applying the rescale for me, but what id like to do is selectively sharpen fine edge detail.

I was able to do this in Mistika where by i could create difference matte using a shrink node (sort of a sharpen filter than works on the inside edge rather than outside edge of an image)

also, in mistika at times it was good to be able to make a selection and either effect or recover just the luma or chroma from a source or previous layer - again it maybe because im relying to much on the inside\outside grade to do everything - but is there a similar way to achieve that on baselight? 

thanks for your time!

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

On 1/11/2017 at 1:24 AM, Mark said:

also, in mistika at times it was good to be able to make a selection and either effect or recover just the luma or chroma from a source or previous layer - again it maybe because im relying to much on the inside\outside grade to do everything - but is there a similar way to achieve that on baselight? 

This You can do with the layer Blend-Modes (e.g. Luminance, Color). You can also choose a different 'blend-source', for example the original image or another layer. See this tutorial for an introduction.

About Your first question I am not quite sure. A classic edge-detection tool is not available, unfortunately. Probably You are able to do a matte like this with 'MatteTool' (Erode/Dilate, In Out Blur) and Layer Blend modes, I guess. But the standard sharpen tool in Baselight is extremely powerful, when You learn about all the parameters. 

• Like 3