Jackey Lee

Display Referred, Scene Referred, Timeline Colorspace

Hi All,

I'm an aspiring colorist trying to learn how to grade professionally in Davinci Resolve. I have two questions that confuses me and I hope that I could have some insight from the community.

1. There are two terms that was constantly mentioned in articles and tutorials, display referred and scene referred. I work in Davinci YRGB which is a display referred color managment system. However, I'm grading everything prior to the color space transform which is a scene referred color grade workflow. Therefore, am I working in display, scene referred, or both?

2. I was wondering what preferences does everyone have for timeline colorspace. I currently do a CST to transform my log footages into DWG and set my timeline color space to DWG. From what I understand, timeline color space affects how the coloring tools behave. Are there any benefits coloring in the camera color space (Arri LogC) instead of DWG. 

Thanks for your insight and time to reply this post.

Cheers,