Hi fam, I have uploaded two files...Gamma 1 and Gamma 2. Gamma 1 seems to have very soft shadows or contrast, unlike gamma 2 which has deep blacks. I also realised that Gamma 1 tends to be more of an European trend, especially for commercials. (Softer blacks). What I would like to know is - is this soft contrast look achieved during the grade, or its a specific gamma setting applied on camera. In my opinion, I highly doubt it is achievable merely by colour grading. I find that some images however forced would never look right trying to achieve soft blacks like Gamma 1, and vice versa. I understand that lighting matters, but trying to push the shadows (Gamma 1) beyond 128mv for Davinci, would should be likely equivalent to 7 IRE on Baselight, starts to produce an underexposed image.

Warmest regards.

Gamma 1.jpeg

Gamma 2.jpeg

On set camera work also affects it a lot as contrast ratios are set by good dop in camera already and you just have control over it n post to adjust harder or softer.

It really will depend on story and shots before and after plus on set in camera. Many variables to take in consideration not just gamma.

• Thanks 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Amada Daro said:

You are talking about contrast management, and it's perfectly doable to create a bold (and soft) contrast without going underexposed. It requires a combination of primary tools and some experience. 

Fantastic! What is your approach to it? Thanks. I know the mid-tone pays a very vital role in this approach. I spoke with Matt Osborne (The Mill) a couple of times, he said one secret is for your blacks never to reach the bottom, and he said it requires some experience as well. Here is what I aspire to grade like: http://www.themill.com/portfolio Every image is completely soft on the shadows. How do they do it. I doubt their thousand of clients all shoot the same way.

Edited by Adéyẹmi

Managing exposure and contrast is discussed in depth in many of the case studies on this site. I would especially recommend reading Trish Cahills case as you might pick up some interesting about that topic there. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

On set camera work also affects it a lot as contrast ratios are set by good dop in camera already and you just have control over it n post to adjust harder or softer.

It really will depend on story and shots before and after plus on set in camera. Many variables to take in consideration not just gamma.

Here is what I aspire to grade like: http://www.themill.com/portfolio Every image is completely soft on the shadows. How do they do it. I doubt their thousand of clients all shoot the same way.

21 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

One more question Sir, what is the approach to mastering for different formats? Say, I have been asked to work on a feature thats gonna make its way to the cinema's and DVD? Thank . you.