Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone here is coloring animation (feature, special, series)?

would be interesting to connect, discuss and share experiences..

:)

cheers and good day :)

ps pls let me know if this post belongs to some other category.

Edited by Nurali K

In my experience, the main difference is that the color correction tools can behave somewhat different because of the dynamic range of animated images. It could take some time to get used to if you're sensitive to how the image react to every little adjustment. That said, fine control of separations could be less complex as you often have limited access to alpha mattes from the VFX dep. 

• Like 1

Welcome, great to see such a great and talented retoucher here on the forum!

As you're used to working with extended ranges in still photography you probably understand that there are a lot more data available in the top IRE levels compared to what you're used to on moving images. That means you should probably use some time to experiment with how to bend the highlights to get various results. When working with animations I prefer to introduce some color in the highlights but stay white on the absolute top like @Paul Ensby explains in his The Man From U.N.C.L.E article. That takes the image a bit away from the sharp and graphic base.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tom Evans said:

In my experience, the main difference is that the color correction tools can behave somewhat different because of the dynamic range of animated images. It could take some time to get used to if you're sensitive to how the image react to every little adjustment. That said, fine control of separations could be less complex as you often have limited access to alpha mattes from the VFX dep. 

Hi Tom, 

i completely agree with tools behaviour. Thats the first thing comes to mind. But it didnt take me long to get a feel of it. 
Another thing i can highlight is, when i need to pull a key, they are so clean, its crazy :) 
I don't have any mattes usually, only for commercial spots, but not for long format stuff. There its just a prores4x4, not even exr.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Abby Bader said:

Welcome, great to see such a great and talented retoucher here on the forum!

As you're used to working with extended ranges in still photography you probably understand that there are a lot more data available in the top IRE levels compared to what you're used to on moving images. That means you should probably use some time to experiment with how to bend the highlights to get various results. When working with animations I prefer to introduce some color in the highlights but stay white on the absolute top like @Paul Ensby explains in his The Man From U.N.C.L.E article. That takes the image a bit away from the sharp and graphic base.

Wow what a warm welcome! 
Thank you Abby!
i wonder how you know about my retouch background, but its not important:)
I would say, there are a lot of similarities to how moving images and stills react to color manipulation, but also a lot of nuances that are different.
I, much you, prefer to keep brightest range of highlights and deepest shadows clean and neutral, or cleanish and nutralish -depending on whats going on in the look. Most important it feel "right" (whatever it may mean for me) and not too artificial.

Are you mostly doing episodic work or short format? or both, like me :D 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2017 at 10:29 AM, Abby Bader said:

I just visited your profile and browse your work :-) I'm doing a broad range of work, both short- and long format and episodics. 

hey Abby, sorry i missed your reply :)
I figured by the time i asked, my website is quite outdated at the moment as i put freelance practice on a side and took an offer to join a post house here in denmark as a colorist.

Great to connect with so many creative and talented folks in the field!

Where are you located in the world?

2 hours ago, Margus Voll said:

It seems that i'm starting out on similar field now.

Guys here are shooting with photo cameras but it is more stop motion type of work.

I find it real fun to work with, i loved cartoons all my life and working with it now is still fun. Plus there is huge(to me) motivation cause i know thousands of kids and grownups are super excited about new seasons and developments. It really inspires me to know I'm a small part of bringing joy to some kid somewhere in the world.
Good luck, Margus!

• Like 2
On 13.6.2017 at 9:24 AM, Nurali K said:

hey Abby, sorry i missed your reply :)
I figured by the time i asked, my website is quite outdated at the moment as i put freelance practice on a side and took an offer to join a post house here in denmark as a colorist.

Great to connect with so many creative and talented folks in the field!

Where are you located in the world?

Sounds great, I'm currently living in Berlin. 

(edited)
On 6/13/2017 at 10:08 AM, Margus Voll said:

It seems that i'm starting out on similar field now.

Guys here are shooting with photo cameras but it is more stop motion type of work.

cause i find it great, maybe :D

i love Berlin, lived briefly there for 3 months around sping-summer 2002.

Edited by Nurali K
typo