Nicolas Hanson

Timwarp from Avid to DaVinci (EDL 3600)

A CMX3600 edl should carry over any constant speed timewarps but any form of variable speed change probably wouldn't be.

In that instance you could use an AAF? (Although we've never had 100% success with translating variable speed ramps from one software to another) but it normally handles simple variable speed changes ok.

Alternatively create video mixdowns of the timewarps and cut them into to your pre-grade sequence.

• Like 2

I agree with everything Mark says. Complex timewarps are never going translate properly between applications, regardless of whether or not you use EDLs, XMLs or AAFs, but Resolve gives you the edit tools to be able to re-create the effect without too much effort.

As Mark mentioned, you can send 'baked-in' renders of clips with timewarps or complicated effects. If the colourist chooses to re-make the effects, an offline reference movie placed above the other tracks will help. Some colourists will set this reference layer as a split-screen, or in 'difference' composite mode, which helps to identify the differences.

I'm wondering why you're using EDLs, as AAFs offer a lot of advantages, such as multiple video layers and better effects translation. I haven't used EDLs in years!

• Like 3

I will usually deliver shots with effects created in the editing suite with handles so that the finishing artists can recreate them. That way they don't need to get back to us for a new delivery if they want to change the timewarp or other effects created earlier in the pipeline.