Jeremy Dulac

Tracking a light beam matte overlay in Resolve

Hello all,

I am attempting to add a light ray matte effect in Resolve, to create the effect of light rays cutting through a window in early morning. I am adding the matte as an actual file to my second layer in my edit panel and changing the blend mode to Screen from there, rather than adding the file to the media pool as a matte(perhaps this is the wrong way to do it?). The issue I am having is that my shot moves on a gimbal and I am trying to pin the matte overlay in place so it doesnt move with my shot. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to paste my point tracking data onto the matte clip (when I copy the data and then click paste on the matte file nothing happens) - or perhaps there is a better way to do it?? Any and all suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance for any help you could provide!

Hi Jeremy.

You are not doing anything wrong by adding the mattes to a top track and using the blending modes. The only difference from adding the matte as a matte clip is that that latter lets you loop the clip.

Copying track data from node to node on the same clip is possible, but from clip to clip is not possible.

It makes no sense that this should be possible in the color module. Tracking the way you want to use it is an important part of visual effects worl and In Davinci Resolve this feature belongs to and is possible in Fusion.