lewis jacobs

"The north water" look

I recently watched the new TV series called "the north water" and loved the look of it.  I'd like to try and recreate it and wondered if any experienced colourists could advise me on how to achieve the look. Il try and add a pic or two but otherwise checkout the trailer on YouTube  :)

Screenshot_20210723-180836_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210723-161418_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210723-180815_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210724-171230_YouTube.jpg

Just my 2 cents...

To my eyes, it has a color pallet that is equally-split between Ektachrome 100D/Fujicolor Provia 100 reversal , but with well managed highlights, avoiding clip and retaining detail. 

Blacks tend toward crushing at the extreme, all colors appear to be destaturated, but reds are desaturated a bit more with a tiny shift to magenta and overall exposure is well below clip.

Looks like a lot of very delicate qualification work has been done on faces and specific background details to enforce the look; I don't see a generic LUT being able to encompass the entire ambient representation in a linear fashion from full dark to full bright...

Of course, I am looking at the clips on a generic computer monitor in crappy lighting conditions;  YMMV.

Edited by Frank Wylie
21 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

Just my 2 cents...

To my eyes, it has a color pallet that is equally-split between Ektachrome 100D/Fujicolor Provia 100 reversal , but with well managed highlights, avoiding clip and retaining detail. 

Blacks tend toward crushing at the extreme, all colors appear to be destaturated, but reds are desaturated a bit more with a tiny shift to magenta and overall exposure is well below clip.

Looks like a lot of very delicate qualification work has been done on faces and specific background details to enforce the look; I don't see a generic LUT being able to encompass the entire ambient representation in a linear fashion from full dark to full bright...

Of course, I am looking at the clips on a generic computer monitor in crappy lighting conditions;  YMMV.

Thanks, good information!

33 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

Just my 2 cents...

Would you say theres magenta in the highlights?

That is really difficult to judge from this monitor; I can see some tendency toward warmth within the lighter values but still can pick-out pure whites.  If there is an overall warm cast, it can be "pierced" at a certain luma level with pure white. 

Maybe the highlights have a roll-off of red toward clip on a curves adjustment?

Again, not judging from the best monitor possible, so just guessing...

• Like 1