Tom Evans

The importance of film preservation

Ah, for once, my memory is correct:

THE FILM PRAYER

I am celluloid, not steel; O god of the machine, have mercy. I front four great dangers whenever I travel the whirring wheels of the mechanism.

Over the sprocket wheels, held tight by the idlers, I am forced by the motor's might. If a careless hand misthreads me, I have no alternative but to go to my death. If the springs at the aperture gate are too strong, all my splices pull apart. If the pull on the take-up reel is too violent, I am torn to shreds. If dirt collects in the aperture, my film of beauty is streaked and marred, and I must face my beholders — a thing ashamed and bespoiled. Please, if I break, fasten me with clips; never with pins. Don't rewind me—my owner wants that privilege, so that he may examine me, heal my wounds and send me rejuvenated upon a fresh mission.

I travel many miles in iron cans. I am tossed on heavy trucks, sideways and upside down. Please see that my own paper band is wrapped snugly around me on the reel and fastened with a string, so that my first few coils do not slip loose in my shipping case, to be bruised and wounded beyond the power to heal. Put me in my own shipping case. Don't make me a law-breaker. The law requires a standard can, two address labels, and a yellow caution label. Scrape off all old labels so I will not go astray.

Speed me on my way. Others are waiting to see me. The "next day" is the last day I should be held. Have a heart for the other fellow who is waiting, and for my owner who will get the blame. Don't humiliate me by sending me back without paying my passage and insuring me against loss or damage.

I am a delicate ribbon of celluloid — misuse me and I will disappoint thousands; cherish me and I delight and instruct the world.

Written by A. P. Hollis, DeVry Film Editor, in 1920 for the Visual Instruction Service of the State College,

Fargo, N.D.

• Like 3

Maybe we should think about starting a poem for videotape, as it will no doubt need preserving in the not-to-distant future.

I'll start with the first line.

THE VIDEOTAPE PRAYER

I am mylar, not steel; O god of the machine, have mercy. I front great dangers whenever I travel across the flying heads of the helical scan mechanism.

• Like 3

Bruno,

Videotape preservation is in full-swing at the Library of Congress.  We digitize all formats from 2" (Quad) to 8mm Technicolor. The more standardized formats are migrated via a robotics system called "Samma".

You can find more information here;

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-07-149/

https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/section-files/BBTB 101 Fundamentals of Archiving pt1 - James Snyder.pdf

• Like 2
On 12/23/2016 at 9:48 AM, Bruno Mansi said:

Maybe we should think about starting a poem for videotape, as it will no doubt need preserving in the not-to-distant future.

I'll start with the first line.

THE VIDEOTAPE PRAYER

I am mylar, not steel; O god of the machine, have mercy. I front great dangers whenever I travel across the flying heads of the helical scan mechanism.

Ok, how about the next verse...

Yanked forth from my protective, acrylic case by spindly threading arms and wrapped around a cylindrical whirling dervish, I am forced by the friction of a pinch roller and a spindle across the spinning, tiny gaps of video heads.  If a slippery, worn belt mistimes the threading ring, or a clog of oxide jams the video head, my shiny surface wrinkles and my image is full of static and noise.

• Like 2

Abby,

So sorry for the delay in responding.  I have gone both forward into Digital Color Correction and backward into literally timing like a silent lab technician at once!  My Hazeltine Analyzer broke down and, due to a lack of available technicians to repair said beast, I have had to resort to timing by-eye over a light box, so my days have been rather full.  

That and certifying a new Resolve System we just purchased...

Talk about your dichotomies...

I am finishing a print on "Finishing School" (1934) with  Frances Dee, Billie Burke and Ginger Rogers, as well as certifying a show print on "Hotel Imperial" (1927) with Pola Negri, James Hall and George Siegmann. 

Unfortunately, both titles have severe issues with generational loss, decomposition and damage; You do the best you can...

Positive elements (to make dupe negs) are not as hard to "eyeball-time" as negative (to make show prints), but I am somehow managing.

Needless to say, this development has slowed my throughput down considerably.

Hope your technical woes are less severe!

Frank