Nicolas Hanson

Media offline on DaVinci Resolve timeline

On 1/24/2017 at 9:58 AM, Bruno Mansi said:

Are you saying you organised the media into folders after you'd added your clips into the media pool?

If that is the case, then you've moved the file locations so Resolve doesn't know where they are.

You need to either return the files to their original location or re-link the files. You can do this by selecting all your clips in the media tool, right-clicking on the clips and selecting 'Relink Selected Clips...'  You can then navigate to the media's new location.

I'm a novice Davinci user and I'm sure this exact thing is what happened to me. I have right clicked as you said, and I don't see a Relink Selected Clips tag as you've mentioned. Only Link Clips, which is not what I want to do. Any suggestions? Has it changed perhaps with a newer version that I might be running? 

23 minutes ago, Melissa Leighty said:

I'm a novice Davinci user and I'm sure this exact thing is what happened to me. I have right clicked as you said, and I don't see a Relink Selected Clips tag as you've mentioned. Only Link Clips, which is not what I want to do. Any suggestions? Has it changed perhaps with a newer version that I might be running? 

Hi Melissa,

I just checked this on my laptop (which is running version 12.5) and when I'm in the media pool and select one or more clips, right-clicking I can definitely see 'Relink Selected Clips', near the bottom of the list (just below 'Clear Poster Frame'). 

You don't mention what version you're running, so it's possible that Blackmagic have renamed this function in the latest (beta) version. I don't see 'Link Clips' when I right-click, but it sounds like it should be doing the same thing. As a further thought, I was right-clicking on clips that have media attached, so it's possible with clips where the media is offline, that the command is re-worded to 'Link Clips'.

I'd give it go, as it sounds like the same thing to me.

• Like 1

Have the same problem but none of the suggestions here worked. 

I believe that DR "sees" the container that the video is packaged in as faulty in some way and refuses to interact with it.  Like a snob with it's nose in the air.  Once DR has decided a container is unworthy it stays unworthy unless you repackage.  And you cannot repackage with DR because it's being a snoot.  Very simple cheaty quick way to deal is to upload to youtube and then download again.  Youtube will put it's own container on your vid fixing the fault.  And youtube was designed to be a welcoming mistress taking in any and all vids who show at the doorstep.  It takes faulty containers.  It recontains them.  This does not ensure top quality but will work if you are not going insane for HQ perfection.  If you are going insane for perfection you simply must use a different editor than Davinci Resolve if you get the Media Offline Message.  Or reshoot your project from the beginning and hope the outcome is correct this time around.

My capture is Nvidia GeForce Shadowplay.  It seems to have packaged my video wrong when I was recording in Unity5 Game Creator and using Windows Magnifier.  I am on my slower computer pushing it's limits so no surprise it burped up wrapping my record with to much to process.  I have a old graphic card. 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 4096MB RAM, DirectX 12, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I was using DR12.5.  DR14 is out but I would bet it is just as picky with containers.

Davinci doesn't have any trouble reading the most common containers, but they could hold codec information that is not commonly used in video production, and therefore not support it. Transcode your video file to one of the more known formats and you will be fine.

5 hours ago, Pharaun Mizzrym said:

I was using DR12.5.  DR14 is out but I would bet it is just as picky with containers.

Just because Resolve cannot read your particular files doesn't make it 'picky'. In fact, a lot of professionals use DR as their 'go to' piece of software for ingesting/transcoding material prior to editing, as it's able to see files that other software often cannot handle.

My capture is Nvidia GeForce Shadowplay.  It seems to have packaged my video wrong when I was recording in Unity5 Game Creator and using Windows Magnifier.  I am on my slower computer pushing it's limits so no surprise it burped up wrapping my record with to much to process.

I don't have any experience with Shadowplay, but any decent screen recording software should be written in such a way as to have as small a footprint as possible whilst recording, so that it doesn't impact too much on the performance of what you're trying to record. Of course, you can't perform miracles on limited hardware and you'll normally see this as reduced frame-rate, or stuttering of the recorded game-play. What the software should definitely not do, is corrupt the recorded file as it wraps it into the video container. If Shadowplay is doing this, then I suggest you stop using it. There's plenty of other screen recording software out there that will produce files that Resolve will happily see, and prevent you having to upload/download to Youtube - which seems to be a very tortuous route which will definitely harm your footage.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell Inspiron 530s, Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 4096MB RAM, DirectX 12, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Looking at your hardware, you only have 4Gb RAM installed, which is barely adequate to run Windows 10, let alone Unity 5 and screen recording software as well! I'm guessing your hard drive must be thrashing around like crazy, having to use it's Swapdisk to load code in-and-out. I would really look into adding more memory, as this is one of the cheapest ways of improving a system with this amount of RAM.

• Like 1

Resolve considers every single video in any format on my system to be offline.

At first I thought it was just that my TG5 outputs video in quicktime format, so I converted them with another program, but nope, it's everything, regardless of source, codec, etc.

As a sidenote, Resolve also thinks my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 is not a CUDA capable GPU...

Windows 7 home 64 bit, Intel i7-3770k, 16 GB Ram.

Edited by Mikael Hallin
40 minutes ago, Rituraj Chouksey said:

Hi Friends, 

I'm still getting Media offline error in DaVinci Resolve, when ever i'm importing any video. Please have a look of attached images & suggest me any solution.  

Thanks 

Not much information to go on here.

Are you saying that you cannot bring in ANY media into the media pool (irrespective of it's type/codec), but these files play happily in something like VLC or Quicktime player?

Has this ever worked since you installed Resolve, or is this a recent problem?

Some details about your hardware would be useful, as well as software versions.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I have got the same problem with resolve 16 but only with UHD video 3840x2160. I worked on my project with all video format UHD HD and other, it works perfectly, when suddenly  all video in 3840x2160 thumbnails appear in media offline. It's happened during i work on my project. I used several of this video before that whithout any problem but now it's impossible to use a video in UHD format. I change nothing in my preferences just add somme video in my video folder. What can i do ? I tryed all your previous suggestions relink, rename, move, uninstall resolve 16 and reinstall, delete   .gallery and CacheClip, remove thumbnails. I have no solution. Can you help me.