Alex Winker

New Color Reel

I'm 23 years old and am always looking to learn! Any feedback/mentors welcome!

In a small scene in Austin, any advice on growing out from a smallish industry much appreciated! Also cut this in Resolve too!

Edited by Alex Winker
  • Like 1

Very nice!

Some small comments:

I would definitely increase the bitrate of your upload, 10 Mb/s is rather minimal. But regardless there are quite a few visible compression artifacts in the source.  Was the video encoded with a software or hardware based encoder? Even for 10 Mb/s, it seems very artifact-rich.

25:18 - Very strong banding, probably due to the 8-bit destination codec.  

31.14 - Too much noise and too dark.  It seems to me that the shot was way underexposed in camera, even the brightest part was not very bright, I would take this shot out, it's beyond repair.

Thanks for the feedback Cary!

Sadly, some of the footage was taken from the web exports of the final grades, as that is all that I had on hand... 

in terms of the bitrate, I was under the impression that Vimeo Restricted the bit rate to 10Mb/s so I jus exported with the standard Vimeo settings out of Resolve.

54 minutes ago, Alex Winker said:

Thanks for the feedback Cary!

Sadly, some of the footage was taken from the web exports of the final grades, as that is all that I had on hand... 

in terms of the bitrate, I was under the impression that Vimeo Restricted the bit rate to 10Mb/s so I jus exported with the standard Vimeo settings out of Resolve.

There is no limit for upload.  Also, Resolve's H.264 is not very good, better to export an intermediate and use ffmpeg with -crf (around crf 16-17 should be ok).  

That the footage was taken from web exports explains the high occurrence of artifacts. Obviously not an ideal situation for a reel.

• Thanks 2