Peter

Color Space Question

I'd be interested to hear from anyone at the larger companies who grade for Cinema and Digital. Do you do separate grades for each medium or do you grade in one color space (P3) and switch to another (RGB) for outputting? Would like to hear people workflows.

You could grade under an output LUT that transforms your scene into a display space P3/Rec709/PQ etc. That way your corrections doesn't change but it will match the different target displays. A small trim when switching output LUTs could be necessary. 

sure, i set my output to match the display,

normaly i'd grade in 709 so screeners are somewhat accurate, the path of least resistance + it's as poor a represantation of the master as i will have to show.... about client managment,, working on HDR or P3 and then sitting down for a trim pass to 709, it just seems sad, grey and gloomy, hard to have love for that, but that''s what most people will be seeing.. so starting with 709, then it only gets better....

when 709 is in a happy place, then set ODT to match proj at P3, and fix what needs to be fixed, tweak what wants to be tweaked

rinse and repete for the favored flavors of HDR

• Like 1