Nicolas Hanson

AAF media offline (premiere to Avid)

I have a sequence (AAF) exported from Premiere and imported into Avid. The files appears all media offline, even though I have all the source media in the Avid MediaFiles folder. Why doesn't it link to my media? These are two different machines, but I thought the AAF would link to the media even though it probably was inside an other Avid MediaFiles folder on the Premiere machine.

10 hours ago, Nicolas Hanson said:

I thought the AAF would link to the media even though it probably was inside an other Avid MediaFiles folder on the Premiere machine.

If the file path to the media is different on the workstation with Premiere, then it won't automatically link - unless Adobe introduce some sort of auto file search when it encounters offline media. This may be a long process if you have a lot of storage, as the software has no idea where to look and could spend a long time searching. However, if you have one of the newer versions of Premiere, it should have popped up a 'Link Media' dialogue box once you loaded your AAF, so that you can tell it where to find your media. In any case, it should be an easy task to do this manually. I suggest you look at this help page from Adobe...

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/relinking-media.html

Sorry, I misread the first sentence!

First of all, the only type of MXF file that can exist within the numbered Avid Mediafiles folder is the OP-Atom variant. If you've rendered out OP1a from Premiere then dumping them into the Avid Mediafiles location won't work. One way of testing this out is to create a new Avid bin in your project, then use Windows Explorer/Finder to go to the location of your Avid Mediafiles. Find the database file (the one with the .mdb extension) and drag-and-drop it into the bin you just created. This should cause the bin to fill with all the master clips within your mediafiles folder. If you can see and play the clips you exported from Premiere, then all is fine. If you don't see them, it might mean they're not the right MXF variant. It's possible that the database didn't re-build when you added the media (which it should automatically do when you start Avid), but you can force a rebuild by deleting the two database files (.mdb & .pmr) and restarting Avid.

If you do have genuine OP Atom files, then it might simply be the case that you need to re-link these files to your offline media by using Avid's re-link command. There are lots of options to be found in the re-link dialogue box, and it can be a bit of a hit-and-miss affair as to which options work. There's a number of tutorials you can Google that'll explain what the various options do.

If you decide these files aren't OP Atom, you'll need to link to the files. You can do this from the same re-link menu, making sure to only relink to linked(AMA) media.