Thomas Singh

Technical correct LUT

I see that there are many LUT providers out there, Cinegraik, Koji ++ How are these made? By creating some colour tweeks inside DaVinci and exporting them as a LUT?

Any way to create the LUTs "technically correct?" 

Edited by Thomas Singh

Hey Thomas,

as someone who doesn't use LUTs much (except for transforms or maybe on set monitoring), I don't quite get your question. There are some companies out there who say they scan filmstock and build the LUTs from that. I suppose you can do that with pure maths without using Resolve, based on response curves. While it's cool that you can technically use them if you 100% want to emulate a specific stock when mixing with material shot on actual film, I've not yet had a good reason to hunt for "amazing" LUTs, and I find I've become a better colorist for doing more manual adjustments.

• Like 1

It is close to impossible to replicate film LUTs' nonlinear transforms in Resolve.
For example, more saturated blue becomes darker cyan. While less saturated blue becomes lighter magenta. Also brighter saturated colors become less saturated but brighter colors. Low saturated red becomes low saturated orange (closer to skintone), but only if it was brighter than 15 % luminance. More saturated darker reds become magenta.
These are just completely random examples. This isn't what film LUTs do.
This can be done in 3D LUT Creator using AB and CL grids or similar instruments. I mean nonlinear transforms. Not precise film emulation (those LUTs are created from real world film process measurements data)

In resolve you can use node colorspaces and rgb mixer. I prefer AB grid or other tools of third party software for that.

But often you don't need true film emulation. You can create a 'film look' using just Resolve controls. And it will be much more forgiving compared to film emulation LUTs. I mean, noise or similar problems with your footage.

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich