Christian Rush

Emulation Powergrade for a show-LUT

I am going to be working on a show that will be in Dolby HDR.  I'm planning on using ACES so that the DIT can have an easier time with my LUT, even though I love DaVinci Wide Gamut.  It seems a lot of DIT's are not accepting that yet, and they may never do so.

The DP wants a fuji emulation.  Of course, there's a lot of flavors of that.  And every "emulation," even of the same supposed stock,  is very very different.  I have a few custom power grades, and I've also grabbed one or two from the Juan Melaras site based on a recommendation.  To make the LUT I usually export a CUBE with the necessary nodes turned on.  My plan is to then apply whichever LUT is used on set, but instead with my power grade as a compound node which I can then customize in the final sessions.  

I am curious to know if anyone else has a story or workflow to share to a custom LUT that can be used later in an HDR workflow.

Edited by Christian Rush