Hi guys,

I´m setting up a room for color grading for both commercials and feature films.
I´ve been looking into 2 monitors for color reference:
- Flanders (FSI) DM250
- Eizo CG-318-4K 31.1" DCI 4K

Any thoughts on them?

I was also looking for a mid-range solution to setup a room with bigger screen for client review.
Has any of you tested the Dolby - Vizio Reference Series 65"?
Looks like an amazing Qdot pannel to replace the Panasonic TX-65CZ952B as mid-range monitor...

Best Regards,
Fernando Lui
On 31/08/2016 at 7:08 PM, Fernando Lui Latorre said:
- Flanders (FSI) DM250

Any thoughts on them?

Well of course, the obvious difference between them is that the Flanders gives you SDI inputs whereas the Eizo is HDMI only. Also, the Flanders is a 1920x1080 display whereas the Eizo is 4096 x 2160

The price of the DM250 is around three times the price of the CG 318, so if you're working in HD and money isn't an issue I'd recommend the Flanders, which gives you lots of features you'd expect in a professional monitor for TV/film. If you need a 4K display then the DM250 isn't going to be of much use.

You also need to think about profiling/calibrating your monitors at regular intervals, so it's worth considering how easily you can achieve this in your particular situation, as this will vary with different monitors. If you want to do this yourself, I would have a look at the Spectracal and Light Illusion websites, which will give you information on what software/hardware you might need. The Eizo does have a built-in probe for measuring your display, but this won't be very accurate, and if you're going to be grading commercials and features, you really need to be looking at more professional probes such as the Klein K10A.

• Like 3
On 31.8.2016 at 8:08 PM, Fernando Lui Latorre said:
Hi guys,

- Flanders (FSI) DM250

Any thoughts on them?

I was also looking for a mid-range solution to setup a room with bigger screen for client review.
Has any of you tested the Dolby - Vizio Reference Series 65"?
Looks like an amazing Qdot pannel to replace the Panasonic TX-65CZ952B as mid-range monitor...

Best Regards,
Fernando Lui

I'd look at the CM250 over the DM250. With the DM250 you're paying more for features that are really only useful to a DIT on set.

The CG-318-4k is decent monitor that calibrates well, but has a slightly elevated black level not meeting the Grade 1 specifications.

I don't have any experience with the Vizio, but I'd take a look the Panasonic DX902B which I've seen in person and it looks extremely good and seems to calibrate well: https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dx902-tx-65dx902b-uhd-4k-tv-review.12385 . Also take a look at the LG 65G6 OLED, which also gets great reviews.

I think you would be better served with the CZ952B, DX902B, or 65G6 over the CG-318-4k.

• Like 6