Florian Rubenberger

Resolve Video Monitoring "Use 4:4:4 SDI" question

Hi there,

I'm working in Resolve on a mac with a cleanfeed to my EIZO CS2700s via an Ultrastudio 3G over HDMI. Regardless of whether I set my monitor's input range to "limited" to match Resolves' Data Levels set to "video" or set both to "full", ticking the "Use 4:4:4 SDI"-option in Resolve (project settings --> master settings --> video monitoring) results in a huge brightness-shift.

So that left me wondering whether I should check or uncheck the "Use 4:4:4 SDI"-option and why it's even altering my signal over HDMI? 

Thank you for your help - I'm really confused at that point...

Cheers, Flo

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-02 um 20.37.43.png

EIZO.jpg

• Like 1

My guess would be to set your YUV color matrix to 10bitYUV422 because I am not sure that the USM 3g via HDMI can send a 444 signal? I think you would need an actual SDI to achieve that (but I might be incorrect here). The input color format should also be YUV if going through the ultra studio 3g. If you wanted 10bit444rgb I think you would need to go directly from your Mac's HDMI into the Eizo.

I usually keep most of my settings on my 2700x to auto and the display updates automatically if set to my HDMI but hopefully anything I said is helpful!

Good luck in this color madness!

Nick

Edited by Nicholas brecken
grammar
On 10/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, Bruno Mansi said:

What's Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup saying your output is set to?

I've found that to be the main determiner of what comes out of the Ultrastudio 3G monitor

Even when using HDMI and not SDI? My UltraStudio 3G is set to 1080p25 in the General tab.

Under SDI-Output I could switch the color space between "RGB 4:4:4" and "Y, Cb, Cr 4:2:2" and the 3G-SDI format between "SMPTE Level A" and "SMPTE Level B"

Just tried some tests with the HDMI output to an Eizo monitor and the SDI output to my main OLED monitor.

1080p/25 project loaded in Resolve.

The 'use 4:4:4 SDI'  option seems to feed RGB to both outputs. 

The Eizo doesn't always correctly identify this consistently in Auto (for it's Input Color Format) so I set this to RGB.

You can separately switch the SDI output to Y, Cb, Cr 4:2:2  in the Desktop Video and this doesn't effect the HDMI output, although switching from 1080p to 1080 psf does seem to effect both outputs.

Switching the Data levels in Resolve from 'video' to 'full' effects both outputs. The 'auto' setting in the Eizo 'Input Range' doesn't seem to identify the signal level, so you have to set this manually.

I've found that sometimes switching back and forth between the Resolve settings and the Desktop Video settings, can cause problems with a setting not 'sticking'. In these situations you have to go away from a setting (say, the 1080p/1080psf) and then come back to it.

But in conclusion, I could get my OLED reference monitor to display Y, Cr, Cb, 4:2:2 video levels and my Eizo monitor to RGB with video levels with the combination of 'Use 4:4:4 SDI'  (Resolve menu) and 'Video is converted to Y, Cb, Cr 4:2:2' (in Desktop Video menu).

21 minutes ago, Bruno Mansi said:

Just tried some tests with the HDMI output to an Eizo monitor and the SDI output to my main OLED monitor.

1080p/25 project loaded in Resolve.

The 'use 4:4:4 SDI'  option seems to feed RGB to both outputs. 

The Eizo doesn't always correctly identify this consistently in Auto (for it's Input Color Format) so I set this to RGB.

You can separately switch the SDI output to Y, Cb, Cr 4:2:2  in the Desktop Video and this doesn't effect the HDMI output, although switching from 1080p to 1080 psf does seem to effect both outputs.

Switching the Data levels in Resolve from 'video' to 'full' effects both outputs. The 'auto' setting in the Eizo 'Input Range' doesn't seem to identify the signal level, so you have to set this manually.

I've found that sometimes switching back and forth between the Resolve settings and the Desktop Video settings, can cause problems with a setting not 'sticking'. In these situations you have to go away from a setting (say, the 1080p/1080psf) and then come back to it.

But in conclusion, I could get my OLED reference monitor to display Y, Cr, Cb, 4:2:2 video levels and my Eizo monitor to RGB with video levels with the combination of 'Use 4:4:4 SDI'  (Resolve menu) and 'Video is converted to Y, Cb, Cr 4:2:2' (in Desktop Video menu).

Thank you for experimenting and testing! I'm still not sure what to do with the "Use 4:4:4 SDI"-option. As I mentioned it behaves the same (increases brightness a bit), regardless of what I set the SDI Output in my UltraStudio settings, which makes sense, since I use the HDMI-output.

I've set the monitor to RGB, Matrix auto and and the input range to full; Resolve is set to full, too. I generated an SMTPE chart within Resolve's generators and experimented with the "Use 4:4:4 SDI"-setting.

Switching "Use 4:4:4 SDI" on makes the image a bit brighter and makes two small bars on the bottom of my SMTPE chart visible. Looking a my scopes, I should indeed be seeing these two bars, since they are clearly elevated from 0 IRE... turning "Use 4:4:4 SDI" off makes the two bars invisible... this happen in full/full and video/limited.

I guess I'll probably leave "Use 4:4:4-SDI" on for the moment...

SMTPE.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-08 um 11.37.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-08 um 11.37.57.png