Claudius Neal

Uncompressed RGB Files

I have a question regarding exporting uncompressed files.

My source files are 1920x1080 but eventually they will be changed to 2160 UHD.

The source material was changed to letterbox 4:3 and was edited with pillar boxes.

After I created the XML file for the 1920x 1080 uncompressed files I reimported the 

XML files in daVinci Resolve and created the 2160 UHD timeline.

The pillar boxes don't line up.

How should I resize the project? 

This entire message made my head hurt. I have a lot of "why did you do that?" kinds of questions, but we'll be here all day.

What software created the 4x3 letterbox? Why not just work with 4x3 resolution (1920x1440) and no pillarbox, and then use SuperScale to double it to 3840x2880? What kind of streaming service or broadcast channel will play 4x3 in 2022?

As far as I know, if you import 1920x1080 files into a 3840x2160 project, it's exactly centered to the pixel and nothing is cut out, unless your import settings or PTZR values are bad, or if there's an Edit Page sizing issue.

Sorry for your pain Marc.

The original movie was shot 1920x1080 16:9.

The client added the pillar bars.

I was asked to grade the material as it was given to me.

I did import the the material at UHD resolution so yes it does line up.

Again sorry for pain.

6 hours ago, Claudius Neal said:

Sorry for your pain Marc. The original movie was shot 1920x1080 16:9. The client added the pillar bars. I was asked to grade the material as it was given to me. I did import the the material at UHD resolution so yes it does line up. Again sorry for pain.

Well, now we have a little more information. Consider what I said: the fact that you can export it without the pillerbox, in a true 4x3 aspect ratio. I'm often bewildered why clients do what they do, and sometimes terrible damage is done before the colorist inherits the project. I concede that sometimes we can't stop them from harming their own projects through ignorance.

If it were me, I'd ask them to give me the original 1920x1080 material, color correct that, and then give them back whatever aspect ratio and resolution they want. If you have full control of the material without mattes baked in and so on, it'll help avoid doing more damage to the final result.