I'm asked to color a burned out/clipped sky blue to make it look like summer. I can't reach a natural blue probably because of the density level and everything I do ends up looking fake. Any tips? Sky replacement is not an alternative.

Why isn't sky replacement an alternative when there is no detail to enhance?

In the distant past, cinematographers used to carry around large diapositive glass plates with images of clouds on them to cover bald skies.  They would put them on a C-stand, position them in the frame to fill the sky and shoot.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Dgd6AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=cloud+plates+cinematography&source=bl&ots=8g_HsoDjFS&sig=1ZAy7dA4BBB1k0ABYM7O0Ldpv5U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim5o3p__vaAhVvc98KHcZwCnoQ6AEIOTAC#v=onepage&q=cloud plates cinematography&f=false

Edited by Frank Wylie
useless trivia injected by old man
  • Thanks 2

Another issue with the footage is that the trees that are surrounded by the blown out sky got magenta edges. It's clearly artifact and I've reduced it some of it with hue-vs-sat desaturating the magenta. But it still isn't 100% gone.

Ah, that's a hard one...

Might key it and pull a matte, reverse it and erode the magenta out, but that will typically leave a smooth, defined edge that looks artificial.  If you could find a way to inject some noise along the matte edge, it might composite successfully over a replacement sky, but you'd probably have to grain/noise that up too in order for it to blend.

Hard to speculate without seeing the image...