Ryan Moser

MIDIGrade (Fantastic DIY Resolve Controller for Mac)

i use my twister all day, every day when driveing Resolve, super useful as an addition to my artist color/transport, and the streamdeck tucks right underneath it, really slick look on the desktop

i've programed mine with Bome, i'm on windoze and Julius has only written his midi-mouse interface for mac, and i'm not a fan of how his mapping works anyway, as i use mine for the things the Resolve didn't get right on the Color mapping in the first place

working in client attended sessions for more than year, it keeps it's head up, no dramas, rock solid hardware, sometimes need to shake the cursor manualy when Bome loses it's little mind tho

and really extends the functionality of the small surfaces under Resolve.. without switching pages on the artist surface i have exposure / contrast /pivot / saturation / rgb exposure at hand.. that alone makes it worthy 😉

Edited by dermot.shane
  • Like 2

this is from a few months ago when i first got the streamdeck, since then i've added cute colored icons to it, added a numpad for BLE mem's changed out the little light and other small stuff

i use the large Wacom alot, and have the softkeys on it mapped, the Artist Color surface softkeys have been totaly re-maped and a few trigger macro's now, i mapped the Transport for my prefrences as  well

there's an XKeys off to the right, but since i got the muscle memory for the streamdeck up to speed, i've not used  the XKeys in months now, it just sits there and looks important to clients now, a prop really....

the whole thing is on a riser to keep it just clear of the Wacom and it can slide over top to the Wacom, not that i really ever use that....

the twister get a lot of use, i did a spotting session for a feature yesterday and used Wacom, Transport & Twister more than the Color surface...   

i'll try to get a current (and better) piccie on Monday

20171126_154742.jpg

Edited by dermot.shane
  • Like 2
On 5/5/2018 at 5:34 PM, dermot.shane said:

i use my twister all day, every day when driveing Resolve, super useful as an addition to my artist color/transport, and the streamdeck tucks right underneath it, really slick look on the desktop

i've programed mine with Bome, i'm on windoze and Julius has only written his midi-mouse interface for mac, and i'm not a fan of how his mapping works anyway, as i use mine for the things the Resolve didn't get right on the Color mapping in the first place

working in client attended sessions for more than year, it keeps it's head up, no dramas, rock solid hardware, sometimes need to shake the cursor manualy when Bome loses it's little mind tho

and really extends the functionality of the small surfaces under Resolve.. without switching pages on the artist surface i have exposure / contrast /pivot / saturation / rgb exposure at hand.. that alone makes it worthy 😉

Hi Dermot,

Glad to hear you're happy with your setup. Looks great!

May I ask you to elaborate a little more on the part what you're not keen about in MIDIGrade's mapping? Have you tested it? I'm all the time looking into different ways possibly improving it and would be happy to hear if there's something I possibly haven't thought about.

I can quite comfortably claim that not counting some very personal needs depending on different users (can't satisfy everyone) there's very little lacking in MIDIGrade. But again, which controller does include everything for under $30,000...

Regarding MIDIGrade for Windows, I'm almost there having a stable enough build which I'm happy with. My plan is to introduce the Keyboard Functionality in the Windows release too, since I find it surprisingly powerful!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Cheers, Julius. www.midigrade.com

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Julius Koivistoinen said:

Hi Dermot,

May I ask you to elaborate a little more on the part what you're not keen about in MIDIGrade's mapping? Have you tested it? I'm all the time looking into different ways possibly improving it and would be happy to hear if there's something I possibly haven't thought about.

I can quite comfortably claim that not counting some very personal needs depending on different users (can't satisfy everyone) there's very little lacking in MIDIGrade. But again, which controller does include everything for under $30,000...

Regarding MIDIGrade for Windows, I'm almost there having a stable enough build which I'm happy with. My plan is to introduce the Keyboard Functionality in the Windows release too, since I find it surprisingly powerful!

Julius, you're the man! I want to commend you on the latest version of MIDIGrade. You really knocked it out of the park! Fantastic work. The mapping is great and the controller behaves even smoother. I'm sure that other users have mentioned similar suggestions as myself but it feels as if you personally implemented some of my suggestions.

I'm eager to see how MIDIGrade behaves in DR15 as I've yet to upgrade.

3 hours ago, Julius Koivistoinen said:

Hi Dermot,

good to know that windoze support is nearly there, we spoke a bit over a year ago about that

my needs are much simpler than your target, i use Twister as a support for a small surface, my needs are;

Pg1 = contrast/pivot/saturation + Pg2 = tint/temp/CB/MD/shadow/highlights

i toggle Pg1/2 on the artist color softkeys already, so don't even need a knob push on twister, the mapping nicely overlaps already

i have macro's to re-set all the above on XKeys, but might map those to the relitive knob push someday when i have time

what i would like is;

Prim/bars/RGB-LGG, all 9 of them. no need for luma, that's already mapped to my surface - vertical is hard for Bome to do

a second page set to control horiziontal movements in the OFX window so i can control Paul Dore's filmgrade OFX with headz up

So really cross purposes, you are creating a mapping to cover off someone with no surface, i already have the main surfaces, and want only a sub-set of what you created, and i want it all on one layer, not spread about

if there's the ablity to customise for windoze i am interested in that!