Remco Hekker

Wait for Resolve mini panel or get a Tangent Element bundle?

Hi Guy's,

After a 4 year break I'm getting back into the business.
I have a couple of nice jobs coming up. I really wanted to get the Resolve mini panels since I work exclusively in Resolve.
But since the price drop they are sold out pretty much everywhere in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. It' estimated that they will be back in stock in 4 - 8 weeks. But with global supply chains under pressure, I'm sceptical.
I do have the opportunity to purchase a used Tangent Elements bundle from a friendly facility. I know the panel since I 'm still the person who has used it most in that facility 😄 
I was really looking forward to some of the features of the Resolve panel like the ability to use custom curves etc. But I have no first hand experience using the panel.
Anybody here that has used both? Maybe even switched? Interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Remco

Edited by Remco Hekker
typos

get the mini. There has been almost zero support or updates from black magic for tangent panels since v15/16, and the future does not look great. Tangent works with other software and is fully mappable (outside of resolve), but if primary use is Resolve, you want the mini. 

Edited by Khoren Mirzakhanian

Thanks Khoren, 

I almost forgot the problem with resolve not supporting the mapper. And with blackmagic doubeling down on the panels market, I doubt the will improve the tangents mapping. 

With the recent price drop of the mini-panel and them being sold out everywhere with a scheduled delivery of 4 - 7 weeks (roughly the time until NAB22) I wonder if we are going to see something new from them. 

However, the friendly facility I wrote about really wanted to sell me one, so I'm now the proud owner of a Tangent Elements Bundle. This will Atleast get me through some jobs the next couple of months and the price was good enough that I won't be burned should a new shiny panel arrive. 

Thanks for your input. 

Remco 

I've recently found myself in the market for a panel, likely the Micro, but of course it's sold out everywhere.

Does anyone know why it's sold out?

I'm particularly interested in a panel with a small size/weight for use while travelling and to compliment my Speed Editor , so if there's a new panel on the way that's smaller than the Micro then I'd be very keen on that.

Hi Kye,
I guess we'll have to wait a couple more weeks to be sure. 
offcourse it could be supply chain issues combined with increased demand because of the pricedrops.
But then again, NAB is end of this month 😁

At work, we have a station with the mni panel and one with the tangent elements (full panels). The tangent offers no suport for the new toll (HDR color), or RGB mixes.... but i still prefer working on it for one simple reason: the mini does ntot have a dedicated button to mark static or dynamic dissolves. I use it  a lot, and its a pain to have a nice panel like the mini and go for the keyboard for a simple shortcut like this. It's very frustrating that BM does not offer a solution to map this keys on the panel.

Sure, on the mini you have control over RGB mixer, the new HDR panel., curves....... but lacking a button for a simple  (yet indispensable) short cut like this?

Both are very smooth and nice to use.... mini is is still a couple of bucks cheaper...

If asked to choose fast, I would go for the Elements. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, Remco Hekker said:

Hi Kye,
I guess we'll have to wait a couple more weeks to be sure. 
offcourse it could be supply chain issues combined with increased demand because of the pricedrops.
But then again, NAB is end of this month 😁

Hi Remco - yes, I'm waiting on NAB in case something new drops, and if not will have to call around and get in line.  The waiting is hard though!

On 4/10/2022 at 3:31 AM, Rogério Moraes said:

At work, we have a station with the mni panel and one with the tangent elements (full panels). The tangent offers no suport for the new toll (HDR color), or RGB mixes.... but i still prefer working on it for one simple reason: the mini does ntot have a dedicated button to mark static or dynamic dissolves. I use it  a lot, and its a pain to have a nice panel like the mini and go for the keyboard for a simple shortcut like this. It's very frustrating that BM does not offer a solution to map this keys on the panel.

Sure, on the mini you have control over RGB mixer, the new HDR panel., curves....... but lacking a button for a simple  (yet indispensable) short cut like this?

Both are very smooth and nice to use.... mini is is still a couple of bucks cheaper...

If asked to choose fast, I would go for the Elements. 

Hi Rogerio, I agree about the lack of customisation that Resolve tends to build into their panels - the Speed Editor is the same with lots of single-function keys not re-assignable.  I've carefully looked over the Micro and think it should have almost everything I need, but the ability to even re-assign a few controls would make a huge difference as there's always that one (or two) things we like to use that are unique to how we work and maybe even a particular project.