Aaron Rosapepe

Less saturated colors in Quicktime render

Working on a grade and I am noticing a really big shift in saturation levels between what I see when working in Resolve and what I am seeing in the Quicktime 422HQ render (indie project so working from home off of my iMac. No external monitoring involved). I'm having to boost the saturation by +20 to get the render to match what Im seeing in the Resolve window so something must be off.

If this is pilot error on my part, any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

comparison.jpg

In the 'color management' settings you can check "use mac display color profile" and see if that solves the issue. Unfortunately, it might not take you all the way as matching the Resolve viewer with a player that doesn't read video attributes on an Imac could be a lost case. Also check your video vs. full range settings.

• Like 1

In addition to "use mac display color profile" you can try to set OSX color profile to sRGB  in OSX settings (seems like you already did that).
Also try to use different players (VLC, IINA). I'm sure you can find a right combination of these factors and to get the similar colors in davinci resolve interface preview and in a video player app.
Render the related (or any similar) image to prores and h.264. Open it in some player apps and in davinci resolve simultaneously. Then use OSX color picker app to compare darker squares on the rendered image. You can also upload the video file to youtube and compare it to your players using color picker app.
You can even test FCPX preview. You'll find, that FCPX shows video in a different way compared to davinci resolve preview.

cmitja_helio_10stepwedge_gs8bit_360ppi1.jpg

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich
  • Like 1

Besides taking care of the external monitor calibration, the usual culprit of the contrast and saturation shift is a mismatch between full and video range in the Color Management preferences setting and the Delivery page.

If in Preferences the range is set to video and the Delivery page it’s set to full range, it will cause the shift in contrast, and since contrast has an effect in saturation it will affect this too. Leaving the setting in the Delivery page to Auto will output the correct image too.
Another point to take in consideration is that difference NLEs by default expect the file to be in full range while others expect to be in video range.
All this applies when grading only in a computer display too.

Patrick Inholfer at Mixinglight has an extensive insight on the subject. 
Edited by Willian Aleman
  • Like 1

Hi there! I found this topic via google search for the same problem. Putting the Mac color on, and changing the iMac screen to sRGB helped a little, but what really did the trick for me was to set the Data Levels to FULL and then export in ProRes. If I export in ProRes, the saturation and contrast are there, and then I personally use handbrake to convert to h264 and it works fine. However if I render h264 directly from Resolve, even with Data Levels set to full, contrast and saturation are lost a lot. So this is how it works for me now. Set Data levels to full and render to ProRes first. 

Thanks everyone for their inputs too! 

best

Andreas