Orash Rahnema

Minimum hardware requirement for a calibration laptop

Hi all!

I'll have to get myself a new windows laptop where basically i will only run lightspace and maybe calman if i get a copy of it.

As I will only need it for this I'll want to spend the least amount of money.
Would you know what are the minimum requirement to run those software?

cheers,

Orash

Edited by Orash Rahnema

Without wishing to state the obvious, I would have thought the answer to this question would be to look at the Light Illusions and Spectracal websites.... or is it you want us to do the work for you? :)

I would have thought the requirements would be fairly modest, so you might even consider a good, second-hand laptop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
(edited)

I've checked lightillusion website, i couldn't find the info i needed, otherwise i wouldn't have asked here. 

I wanted to know roughly what people use as i have tried on a very very modest laptop with an i5 CPU and it was unusable (i think the problem is not the CPU but Just about everything else)

Right now i'm running It on a Pretty good i7 laptop and It works fine but its an expensive laptop that i have been lendt and i have to give It back. 

Edited by Orash Rahnema

Hi Orash,

Found this on the Specracal website...

System Requirements

• Windows 7® or later with latest operating system updates installed (recommended: Windows 7® or later)
  • 2 GHz processor (recommended: 2 GHz Dual Core Processor)
  • 2 GB RAM (recommended: 4 GB RAM)
  • Microsoft® .NET Framework 4.5

CalMAN Studio also supports Windows 7® or later in VMWare Fusion® and Bootcamp® for Mac OS X® users.

Haven't looked at the Light Illusion site but I imagine Steve Shaw will no doubt respond in due course.

Thanks Bruno. 

In lightillusion website says:

ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL & SUPPORT INFO.

Operating System: Windows 7/8/10 
PC Requirements: Minimal - 2Gig Ram Laptop, with HDMI 
Mac Operation: Runs on Mac using any Windows Emulation 

Unfortunatelly the first laptop i tried Met this requirement. 

Probably It was that laptop's fault anyway. 

I should try with another One running anche i5 CPU and see if It works

I've run both these pieces of software on a HP laptop purchased in 2011. It's a HP8760W mobile workstation with an i7 processor and 16GB memory. Top specs for its time, but nothing special these days.

When It's worked hard, the CPU fan kicks in and makes a fair bit of noise, but I never really notice any increased fan noise when I'm  calibrating a monitor using Lightspace or Calman, so I assume the laptop is not being stressed particularly hard.

• Like 1

I use Lightspace XPT and Calman studio on MacbookPro 2017 with i7 with 16giga, I use Vmware Fusion with a windows 7 pro, USB C to USB port work perfectly with differents Spectro like Jeti 1211,  I1 one Pro 2, Klein K80 or even C6 hdr colorimeter with simple USB-C to USB Adapter.

On the same computer I use OSX Resolve or OSX CalibMate driven by Lightspace or Calman, it very great because I can use BM device like ultrastudio thunderbolt device.

Most of time I avoid Wifi for controling external Resolve because sometime he can introduce unsync reading between Lightspace and resolve.

On Vmware side I put 4 giga ram with 1 processor on windows 7 sp1 pro 64 bits.

Becarefull avoid ATOM INTEL computer it's far far to slow to be able to use it, I think minimum i5 it's nice.

Edited by Yov Moor
  • Like 1