Mark Mulcaster

Theatrical Grading

Hi everyone,

I have a project coming up later next year, its a feature length documentary that looks like is going to have a theatrical release.  We're currently quoting for the post and the producers have asked that we include time to do the theatrical grade pass  as well.   As a "TV" colourist  ie i work for a company that only delivers for Television i've not had much experience grading for a threatre - in fact when i've worked on a couple of  super low budget micro  theatrical films we've just graded in my normal suite on my BVM X-300.

So i'm looking for advice basically on whether  i'll get that much benefit from doing the TV grade first (as its the primary release) and then do a a couple of days in a theatre for a trim pass or if its needed at all.I'm not pushing it either way so want to do whats best for the production and they seem to have a decent budget.

I'll be working on Baselight in a colour managed workflow either ACES or Filmlight T-Log/E Gamut.

Many thanks!

My take on this is to grade the documentary on your X300, and do the theatrical pass in the same suite.  You know the audience will watch the documentary in a dark room so that might allow you to go deeper and darker on some scenes and earn you a few more dollars.