Hey guys, I don't know if this makes sense, but I've come up with a workflow that I think is plausible in matching A7S with Alexa footage. I used color space transform ofx to convert slog to to log-c and matched the color of the a7s with the log-c of the alexa footage then applied the same settings that I used on the Alexa to the a7s.

What do you think about this?

a7s.png

arri.png

Setting.png

The colors are different, but with s-log -> log C transform, the tone curve will be similar (of course the quality of the files is different)

Slog3 is quite similar to log C, while slog2 is very different. I always convert slog2 to cineon, log C, or some other well behaving log.

Edited by Jussi Rovanperä
  • Like 1
On 2/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, dermot.shane said:

i use ACES so the IDT's are replaceing OFX transforms, i let the Sony be a Sony and Arri be an Arri, then tweak to match as needed

That's the better approach for sure.
Since a lot of their own color science will be "replaced" using ACES. Good news for Sony prosumer cameras for sure.

Alexa limits saturation in highlights. More saturated highlights become lighter, but not more saturated at some point. But I can be wrong.
Try to google "Art Adams LC709A". You'll find a couple of articles about matching sony cams to alexa.

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich

suppose it goes back to one's prefrences to work in display refered, or scene refered... 

i prefer scene refered, and find matching these camera's to be pretty straight forward with the correct IDT's, no luts needed (or wanted really) in my choice of workflow

in Resolve my default node tree has a node set to HSL, with Ch1/3 bypassed, so i have control of saturation on the rings for tweaks in regions

most of the heavy lifting gets done in L*a*b nodes tho

• Like 2