What Doyle used on Harry Potter is the kind of spill suppression math compositors use for removing fill created by blue/green screen, but that can be used to remove other unwanted color fill as well.  So the suppression math does a better job than desaturating the unwanted color.

So the contrain LUT is a different thing...

Edited by Jussi Rovanperä
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Jussi Rovanperä said:

What Doyle used on Harry Potter is the kind of spill suppression math compositors use for removing fill created by blue/green screen, but that can be used to remove other unwanted color fill as well.  So the suppression math does a better job than desaturating the unwanted color.

So the contrain LUT is a different thing...

Well ok. I didn’t read the article, but that makes sense. 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, Jussi Rovanperä said:

So the suppression math does a better job than desaturating the unwanted color.

Some kind of 3D LUT Creator AB grid?
I mean, more saturated colors are desaturated, but less saturated colors are untouched or desaturated less.
Or something like this?

Edited by Anton Meleshkevich

Peter Doyle used simple math expressions to achieve channel suppression, much like a despill operation (which Jussi was referring to). You can do this in Resolve with LUTs (good) or DCTLs (better). One of my first plugins was called BlueBox, which was based on the process Peter Doyle described in an fxphd interview he did several years ago. An extended version of the plugin, called ChannelBox, is described here:

ChannelBox info

Links to the source files and complied plugin can be found there too.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, dermot.shane said:

i LURVE blue box (and channel box too)  btw... super awesome tools, used every day that i'm on Resolve

What do you use it for?

I'd love to hear real world example. 

I'm scratching the surface of the Matrix potential and i want to really understand what Can be done

On 3/2/2018 at 5:11 PM, Paul Dore said:

Peter Doyle used simple math expressions to achieve channel suppression, much like a despill operation (which Jussi was referring to). You can do this in Resolve with LUTs (good) or DCTLs (better). One of my first plugins was called BlueBox, which was based on the process Peter Doyle described in an fxphd interview he did several years ago. An extended version of the plugin, called ChannelBox, is described here:

ChannelBox info

Links to the source files and complied plugin can be found there too.

Any thoughts on dealing with DR's harsh highlights technically? I am trying to imitate the baselights carefully compressed very soft and soothing highlight roll off. Either by DCTL, or anything. Any tricks, at all? Thanks in advance.