Lowepost

Ravengrade

10 hours ago, Andreas Roeder said:

Will there be a trial version of Ravengrade?

Hi Andreas. We have a few hundred pre-orders that will get access to the Plug-in next month and we'll work with them to improve all aspects of it. Currently there is no plan of when a public version will be released, price, and if a trial will be available at that point, but the documentation will be good enough for anyone to take an informed decision whether to buy or not.

• Thanks 2

I just started using REVENGRADE.

From the Youtube demo, it is not clear to me if when working in Resolve Color Managed Preference Settings, ACES  or RCM, the Working Color Space can be overwritten at Clip Node level when working with different camera gammas within the same Timeline. In other words,  is this only possible when using non-color managed workflow, YRGB?

Edited by Willian Aleman
21 minutes ago, Willian Aleman said:

In other words,  is this only possible when using non-color managed workflow, YRGB?

Not sure if I understand, but if you have different formats in ACES you should set the ACES Input transform to "No Input Transform". Then, if you want to challenge how Resolve interprets the clips on your timeline, you could change input on clip level. Why would you want to change gamma on node level?

Hi Emily - thanks for the prompt response.

My question is in reference to REVENGRADE being used in a "Color Managed" workflow.

Normally when using CST or any OFX  film emulation from a third party company, Resolve unmanaged color space —YRGB— is used.
In addition to Resolve YRGB, REVENGRADE video demo is shown using ACES and RCM in a Color Management Project Settings,  while REVENGRADE is used at clip level.

Why would I want to use change gamma on node level? To match each camera to their own color input and gamma independently of the Project Settings when using camera from different vendors.
Normally this is done in a non color managed workflow: Resolve YRGB. 
My apologies for any confusion.

Hi Willian. 

I do understand you are talking about a color managed workflow, that's why my example was in ACES. Your workflow still makes no sense, if you want to match cameras you should let ACES/RCM handle the transforms and if you want to override their judgement, that can be done on clip level and not node level.  When using ACES in Ravengrade you simply set working color space inside of Ravengrade to ACEScct and the rest will be handled by how you set up the color management inside of Resolve.

• Like 1

I'm playing around with Ravengrade and it's working great generally.
Not sure about all the looks, I will have to explore them a lot more and understand when and how to use it at their best since lots of them are quite particular.

I have a question/suggest tho:

would it be possible to bypass completely the look and only have access to the grading controls?
example input: Alexa/logc -> Ravengrade exposure/density/etc.etc -> output: Alexa/logC

I have tried by setting main and sub look to zero but there is still a look applied to it, only the log curve stays relatively untouched

cheers,

Orash

7 minutes ago, Orash Rahnema said:

I have tried by setting main and sub look to zero but there is still a look applied to it, only the log curve stays relatively untouched

Hi Orash. Thanks for using Ravengrade, looking forward to see what you create with it! You should be able to use the color controls only and completely bypassing the look by setting main to zero. Will send you an email to see if we can figure out what is going on.

4 hours ago, Virgil Edward said:

Yes, would it be possible to retain the transform only?

Hi Virgil. Unfortunately, this is only possible in the RCM/ACES versions as the transforms are handled by the color management systems in those versions.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, Lowepost said:

Hi Orash. Thanks for using Ravengrade, looking forward to see what you create with it! You should be able to use the color controls only and completely bypassing the look by setting main to zero. Will send you an email to see if we can figure out what is going on.

Im facing the same issue, despite turning the look settings (both main and sub) to zero, there is still something non-native thing going with the image. Some look is present. Pls suggest a solution. Thank you