AKSHAY RENAKE

How to grade & achieve Sci-Fi looks ?

What are the tips & tricks to achieve sci-fi look and its extreme shiny texture  on skin & overall image  ? 

What is the pipeline to achieve most future looks?

One example as shown in the below image👇

Avengers.thumb.jpg.5a4411264356f00d36fdbe17175f66f4.jpg

I wouldn't have thought there's looks that are simply reserved for sci fi, but I do see the same sort of colour palettes  used in many films of this genre. 

There's plenty of tutorials in the 'courses' and 'insider' sections that will help you achieve the look you want.

It's probably true that you can push the boundaries and go more extreme - especially with things like foliage and skies on alien planets!

I do think that some sci fi does tend to gravitate (get it?) towards certain  clichés, such as harsh & cold inside spaceships because they're often lit with flickery, fluorescent lighting, especially on the lower decks.  Even though by the time we're all flying in space, discharge tubes would be consigned to the museum.

Dystopian nearly always means desaturated/bleach bypass or yellow-orange tints to denote major pollution. I remember in the Blade Runner sequel, it was very, very orange out in the 'badlands'.

Laser beams are often (boringly) red, although I've been told that blue lasers have better spectral power.

It's difficult to break away from the mold when it comes to audience expectations for sci fi. Since non of us have any experience of interstellar travel, we're all just making it up as we go along!

• Like 1