Orash Rahnema

dnxhr hdr10 to prores transcode

Morning all,

where i am currently working on a project I will have to deliver (and they only accept) prores 422HQ for an HDR10 delivery (rec2020 - P3D65 limited)

I am working on a windows machine in resolve and I can't export prores as you know.

I don't have access to transkoder or anything similiar and I have been proposed to export a dnxHR 444 and then transcode it to prores via adobe media encoder

Since I have never done an hdr transcode in media encoder i have no idea if that could create a problem or not (clipping, colourspace shifts or anything)

Anyone had to go via this route and can tell me if i can trust the workflow, can you suggest anything else in case?

cheers,

Orash

You can experience some gamma issues on DNxHR 444 but if Adobe Media Encoder interpret it properly, why not go that route. If the final delivery is 1920x1080 you could go with DNxHD185x (10 bit) instead as that matches Prores 422 quite good and carries the gamma properly between the apps.

• Like 1