Thomas Singh

Davinci Resolve for editing

I'm a long time Avid editor and want to know if you have used Davinci Resolve as in an professional editing environment? Performance and stability is crucial for me, and I even find Premiere a bit risky when working fast pace with directors sitting next to me or having a room full of clients and needing to deliver.

Also a long time Avid editor, I think Media Composer is hard to beat as a long-form tool. Years of muscle memory are going to be a factor in making me faster and more productive using Avid software above any other. When projects start to grow in size (in terms of the number of bins and amount of media), MC still performs well on modest hardware, assuming you work with DNX media. When it comes down to working in collaboration with other editors and large amounts of shared media, there's nothing to touch Avid. That's why companies like Input Media (here in the UK) have stayed with Avid and recently updated their post production department with new HP Z840 workstations, DNxIO hardware and Nexus storage.

Having tried editing on Resolve, I can see that it's a perfectly good tool but I don't see it having any advantage over Avid. People talk about the benefits of not having to round-trip when you want to grade on Resolve, but most of us have been used to round-tripping for years with audio, and I don't experience many problems sending AAFs to colourists. In fact if the colourist is using Baselight there's a really nice renderless workflow available with Avid.

As far as Premiere (and the rest of the Adobe suite) is concerned, I think it's a great tool for short-form work, especially when it involves a lot of Photoshopping or VFX, but I've had problems with long-form edits really bogging down Premiere.

• Thanks 1