Orash Rahnema

Film emulation and actual film

Hi all,

I have a question that is coming from a DOP friend of mine that with my limited expirience i can't answer. 

A film emulation lut (a proper one) does realistically emulate how the film behave. 

He wants to shoot film, but before doing that he wants to study on his film stage how different film react to contrast and color, to achive his aesthetic. 

Also, but that's for me. I never had the chance to grade film and i my market i don't think It will happend, so i was thinking, do you think its possibile to buy stock of films and a winding machine and use motion film in a still camera?

Are there problema fitting the film because of the perforation?

Once shot how do i procces It to get a proper workflow?

Thanks!

Orash

Edited by Orash Rahnema
  • Like 1

Hey Orash,

Once your test film is shot, you should get it processed and scanned at the same lab that would handle the real film.

You can then grade the test frames and see how they will look. Do you know if they want to do a film print or will the final be strictly digital?

4 hours ago, Louis Kreusel said:

Hey Orash,

Once your test film is shot, you should get it processed and scanned at the same lab that would handle the real film.

You can then grade the test frames and see how they will look. Do you know if they want to do a film print or will the final be strictly digital?

Hi Louis!

There's been a little misunderstanding, i wish was as you'r saying :)

No, unfortunatelly i don't have a film to grade and in the market where i work i don't think i will ever have the chance. 

So i wanted to do it myself shoting motion pic film in a still camera and see if i can replicate the workflow. 

I will buy the vision3 from where @Jussi Rovanperä suggested, probably the hard part would come with the proccessing and scanning. 

9 hours ago, Orash Rahnema said:

Hi Louis!

No, unfortunatelly i don't have a film to grade and in the market where i work i don't think i will ever have the chance. 

So i wanted to do it myself shoting motion pic film in a still camera and see if i can replicate the workflow. 

I will buy the vision3 from where @Jussi Rovanperä suggested, probably the hard part would come with the proccessing and scanning. 

I Remembered reading that there is Vision for still cameras, googled it and that was one of the first links I found, so I have not ordered vision from that ebay seller or others, and can't really endorse any seller. :)

A friend gave me a roll of Vision3 500T he bought from an eBay seller in Asia, he processed it for me in standard C41 chemistry and I scanned it on my not-so-great Epson V550. You can't process it at a standard stills lab as motion picture film contains a remjet layer that regular stills film doesn't have, so you can't process both at the same time. 

Can see some of the results here in images 17-21. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Orash Rahnema said:

Hi Louis!

Hey Orash, now I got it. In that case I think that shooting the test film will be a cool educational project but your workflow will be a bit different from what you would use with digital images from RED, Arri, etc.

In my opinion, you would do well to find a film-inspired look that you like, and then come up with your own methods to find a similar look with your digital images. There's not really a right way or a wrong way, just get your look :)

One small workflow thing that might help would be to try "film-style grading" in which you leave your shots in log space (Red Log3G10/wgRGB or Arri LogC, etc) and then use a log to display transform as the last step in your grade. Do the grading on the log image using offsets / gain / contrast etc and see where you end up.

Good luck!

Edited by Louis Kreusel