8 hours ago, Nicolas Hanson said:

I have seen that there are a lot of LUTS for sale online, and I would like to hear how these are actually built. Are they simply made by a colorist creating a look for then to export the look as a LUT or are there more sophisticated methods to do this?

Depends on who it's from.

Some companies like Koji create their LUTs from densitometric readings of films.

However I don't think most people selling LUTs nowadays go through that process/effort. Likely they are just like the people in the stills world selling presets/looks. Basically either repackaging others work with small modifications and reselling them, like photographers do with VSCO. Or they are just exporting a global look into a LUT in resolve, 3dlcreator, photoshop, lightroom, etc. 

Lightillusion looks to have worked with Koji and Looklabs. Maybe Steve Shaw can give some more accurate insight into this process.

https://www.lightillusion.com/film_profiling.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I work in A/B and C/L for the most and use regular curves (not 2D Curves) mainly for sat/luma (and opposite) corrections. Most tasks can be solved in the regular color correctors, but pushing the grid can solve some challenges faster so it can be a great supplement. I use HSPe btw.

Edited by Abby Bader
  • Like 1