Kevin Stewart

DaVinci Resolve 14 Weird Color Shift on old stills

Hey guys, I just noticed a weird glitch on DR 14 it seems. I was going through an old project on DR 14 and noticed that stills I had saved in a previous version of Resolve dont look the same as when I copy that still's correction to the same shot. 

In other words, it's as if Resolve is seeing the footage in a new color space because the stills dont match the grade. Does that make sense? Is this a setting I'm not aware of and if so how do I go back to the old grade? 

I know that sounds confusing so hopefully that makes sense to you guys and you have some idea of how to fix it. Thanks in advance! 

Here is an example attached.  The second image is the still I had saved when I was working in a previous version of resolve and the first image is that same exact grade applied to the same footage since I have updated to DR 14. As you can see they are slightly different - I have never encountered this before. Does DR 14 have a slightly different interpretation of the color space? 

Kevin

Screen_Shot_2017-10-27_at_9.58.40_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-10-27_at_9.58.30_AM.png

Edited by Kevin Stewart
  • Like 1

First thing that came to mind is the "use S-curve for contrast" feature, which is project and not shot-dependent. 

You could have the same shot in two different projects with an identical contrast adjustment, but if one project has curved contrast and one has linear contrast then they'll look slightly different. 

• Like 1

Another thing is that if levels in clip attributes has been set to "auto", the auto behavior might have changed with some file formats in 14 vs 12.5. Someone had that issue.

But this doesn't really look like levels change.

Edited by Jussi Rovanperä
  • Like 1

Ok so yeah no luck at all. I tried going back to 12.5 and to 14.0 but nothing worked. The interesting is that on my laptop the color is the way its supposed to be. I have 14.0 loaded on that. 

I already tried exporting the project from my laptop and loading it on to my iMac but alas the same problem persists. I'm really stumped by this. 

Does the main grade still look the same on the IMac?  Have only the stills changed?

Any chance the IMac was upgraded to the latest version of IOS and not the laptop? 

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/macos-high-sierra-latest-version-beta-problems-fixes-features-compatibility-3647580/#toc-3647580-2

High Sierra will also see Apple move to the H.265 video standard to support better 4K playback. H.265, also known as HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) compresses video 40% more than H.264, and means high-def videos will take up less space on your Mac. High-quality video streaming will be possible too.

I wonder if the stills function is somehow tied to the H.264 codec...

Sounds like a machine-dependent difference.  Has something has changed on the Imac and not the laptop?  Done any upgrades or recent software installs?

Hi Frank, thanks for that you're absolutely right. It's actually the main grade that changed and the stills that look accurate. 

The iMac just got upgraded to High Sierra and the laptop is on Sierra so that may be where the discrepancy is. I'm gonna try to downgrade back to Sierra on the iMac and see if that works. 

Marc Wielage I have compared SMPTE bars and a grayscale ramp, and there were zero differences in ProRes 422HQ and ProRes 444 renders. I think the user is having issues with color space, video settings, and it's 8-bit material.

LikeShow more reactions
7 hrsEdited
Manage
Jason Bowdach Same results here. Looks like a video / data level issue

LikeShow more reactions
7 hrsEdited

Hey guys I finally figured it out. It was so simple in the end and I should have started here first. Turns out the Node with film convert on it was active but I was getting the " ofx plugin is not available" error even though the plugin is there in my library. For some reason either High Sierra or the new version of Resolve change something in the folder directory for the OFX plugins. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'll keep looking too.