Benjamin Handler

Mattes in relation to node order of operations

Hello all,

I'm trying to apply a film matte to some clips in my timeline to create a vintage-y round-edge effect (see attached image). I've got the matte applied, but some clips in my project have digital zooms (edit > transform > zoom) which unfortunately zoom in on the clip and and past the matte.

The only work around I've found is to apply the matte to the timeline (instead of clip, or a pre or post clip group). This would work, but not all the shots in this project can have the matte. If I apply the matte to a pre or post group instead, the zoom effect will zoom past the matte.

Is there a way to selectively apply this matte without having it be effected by the zooms done to each clip? I would have thought that applying the matte to "Group post-clip" would have been essentially the same as applying it to the timeline.

I've tried varities of applying the zoom on the edit sizing tab in color, as well as input sizing, node sizing while having the matte on different clip / pre / post clip groups. I haven't yet found a combo that won't zoom past my matte.

I feel like I'm misunderstanding order of operations here and there may be a simple explanation I don't yet understand. any help would be appreciated!

ghost matte.jpg