Nicolas Hanson

HP z820 vs z840

We just invested in some z820 workstation that the retailer recommended us. I read online that the z840 are now entering the market and that they have updated the chip and has support for DDR4 memory. Will that make any advantage when running Resolve and Fusion? 

The z840s are an incremental increase to the popular z820 and as you mentioned, have an updated chipset. This means you can have the newer V3 E5 Xeons (820 only accepts V1 & V2) which is (I think) required if you want to take advantage of the DDR4 memory. Looking purely at bench tests, there seems to be a 20-30% increase in raw processing power using this combination, but of course that doesn't always tell the whole story. Other things like disk throughput and GPU speed/cores will also need to be factored in, to decide how much better off you would be with Z840.

I would say that you should see an improvement using Fusion which probably makes good use of the CPU. Resolve relies heavily on GPU muscle for it's performance, so a Z820 with a GTX1080 GPU would probably give you more bang-for-your-buck.

• Like 2