gregory koefer

Color Grading (Monitor, Outputs etc.)

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding color grading setup. For a better understanding, I am a freelance Cinematographer and Director and lots of times I am editing and grading the footage that I direct or shoot. My work goes mainly on Youtube but for our latest project is a indy feature film that will be published in Cinemas and sent to Film Festivals. Additionally we will be pitching it to Streaming Services such as Netflix.

I work on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) Display and after getting more into the whole color grading world I realized that the public opinion changes quickly, so I need advice from professionals.

I have a color munki calibration tool to calibrate my iMac.

My first question is: What is the big difference between the iMac Colors and a entry level monitor such as the LG 27UL650-W?

Is it possible to accurately color grade on a calibrated iMac, or what are the reasons for an external monitor?

Can you recommend a Tutorial that gives some insights in the technical aspect of color grading, monitors and the whole output differences?

Thanks a lot, and looking forward to your answers.

Cheers