Hi all,

In many interviews and insight I read about using different debayering systems and algorithm to achieve different purposes like get deeper color depth or better details or noise level and what not.

I was wandering if anyone could explain me better how this is done.

Is the footage debaiered and rendered out in different software, or maybe systems like baselight let you choose the debayer method?

In Davinci looks like the choice is all taken in the camera raw tab and there is not really a different debayer option. Am i wrong?

cheers,

Orash

Typically the debayering is done by the SDK provided by the camera manufacturer, so it is kind of "black box" process, and the raw settings are identical in different apps.

If you're interested in different demosaicing methods, you could check the free RawTherapee app for still photos, as it has about 10 different demosaicing methods, and a ton of other esoteric processing options as well.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2017 at 10:22 AM, Emily Haine said:

Hi Orash. The color science teams is often asked to develop DRT's (Display rendering transforms) for specific projects. In other cases print-emulations (not the same as film-emulations) can be used to add texture. Maybe @Daniele Siragusano or the other Baselight users can chime in with some insight. 

@Emily Haine when you talk about drt's you are talking specifically in an ACES world?

Not in aces would that be an output LUT?

Is this done only for long term projects or also for commercials?

Could you please expand on the difference between print emulation and film emulation.
My knowledge is quite limited and I thought that a print emulation was a way to emulate the film stock where the motion pic was printed after the DI, so at the end it still was a film emulation.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Orash Rahnema said:

Could you please expand on the difference between print emulation and film emulation.

Many creative LUTs mimic the look of the negative without taking the print into account. The print is important because that's a huge part of how we perceive film.

• Like 1