Bruno Pierucci

Monitor upgrade?

Hello people, I hope you are all keeping good!

I am a videographer/editor looking to upgrade my monitor. Sadly my knowledge is not extense and after some researching on thw web, I ended up morer confused than cleared.

My clients are mostly local busines, events, bands, etc. I'm nowhere near being a PRO or trying to have broadcast standards, but I do enjoy an appreciate a good piece of gear from time to time. Regardless, my budget is not much, and I am not planing spending more than 700€.

Currently I edit from and i9, and RTX 2070. I shoot wiith a Panasonic GH5s and an Atomos Ninja V
The monitor I'm using at the moment is an Acer Predator XB281HK.

I narrowed down my search to 2 models, if anyone had experience with them I'd appreciate their testimony:

Option 1: BENQ SW270C (1440P) This is indeed, no 4K resolution, but apparently is high gamma of benq, the 32 inch version and the 4K version are extra money that I was planning to use on a HHardware Calibrator. I was planing on using this to grade and keep my other 27 monitor to use as UI. Would it affect not being 4K when it comes to grading?

Option 2: BENQ PD3200PT (4K UHD) This apparently is less quality, maybe less colour range (I can't seem to find extense specs either) but it has good reviews, if I go with this I would consider not keeping my other monitor and just work with one 32 inch.

So my question is if I should upgrade to any of those monitors (or maybe another brand, open to suggestions) or it would be better to stick to mine and invest in a calibration hardware like the X Rite, etc?

When it comes to resolution I try to deliver most of the projects in 4K, they ask for that a lot, even if then they wont play it in a 4K screen. Herre comes my next question: The two options I listed are apparently 10 bit, but the 1440 P has more comments to be used in video, so even if I edit and deliver in 4K, would be a bad idea to grade in a 1440 monitor?

Thanks in advance for your time!

The LG OLEDS are going to be more expensive than the 700 Euros you'd budgeted for.

OLEDs do give deep blacks that the other monitors can't really match.

The size of these monitors is something else to contend with. LG now do a 48 inch version (LG48CX) which is presently more expensive than the 55 inch, and will mean you really need to double your budget.

Current wisdom around the forums is that they can be reasonably well calibrated for SDR work, but  not for HDR.

They also only really have HDMI inputs, unlike computer monitors which often have Display port.

Being OLED, you'll also have to contend with auto dimming and the possibility of screen burn-in if static images are left on the screen for too long.  Search the forums for more info on this.

Whichever monitor you go for, there are going to be compromises in the budget range you're talking about. It just depend which of these compromises you can live with.

3 hours ago, Bruno Mansi said:

The LG OLEDS are going to be more expensive than the 700 Euros you'd budgeted for.

OLEDs do give deep blacks that the other monitors can't really match.

The size of these monitors is something else to contend with. LG now do a 48 inch version (LG48CX) which is presently more expensive than the 55 inch, and will mean you really need to double your budget.

Current wisdom around the forums is that they can be reasonably well calibrated for SDR work, but  not for HDR.

They also only really have HDMI inputs, unlike computer monitors which often have Display port.

Being OLED, you'll also have to contend with auto dimming and the possibility of screen burn-in if static images are left on the screen for too long.  Search the forums for more info on this.

Whichever monitor you go for, there are going to be compromises in the budget range you're talking about. It just depend which of these compromises you can live with.

Thanks very much Bruno. I understand now, but Still, I will have to go on any of the ones I mentioned above. The budget does indeed exceed mine.

If you mind, can you tell me which compromises I'll live with choosing any of the ones I listed? I am still curious is someone can tell me a comparison between them two as those are the items in question.
Thanks again!

Hello community, I planned on starting a new thread, but perhaps it's better to continue this conversation, as I'm also looking for a monitor on a limited budget (around 500€).

I will mostly use it for color grading and 3D modeling (and occasional photo editing). Given my budget, I’m deciding between a BenQ SW240 or PD2700U. The SW240 covers 99% Adobe RGB and 95% DCI P3, but it’s only Full HD.. while the PD2700U is 4K and HDR10, but only 70% Adobe RGB/P3 .

Basically, I have to choose between compromising on resolution or compromising on color space.
I’m leaning towards the 4K for future proofing my purchase, but I'm not sure if it makes difference on this size of monitors (I've read that you can tell the lack of resolution of Full HD on 24". Nothing too dramatic, but it's about 90 ppi). On the other hand, I’ll be using this monitor with my MacbookPro 15″, which I believe already covers full DCI P3, so maybe the 4K would be a smart combo.

Of course, I know spending more for a SW271 or SW270c would be better, but I really can't afford that and I don't want to keep using only my 15" Macbook Pro, especially for my body!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers from Spain!

On 11/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, Sander Ges said:

If you'd been willing to spend a bit more, go for an LG OLED, which imo is massive upgrade to the monitors mentioned.

Does anyone have specific models of LG OLEDs that would be recommended? Just been looking through some of these forums as looking at options for a reliable, just above entry-level display set up. I'm at a small offline facility and looking to push more into grading, beginning with music videos and branded web content (down the line as hopefully clients and budgets grow we'd upgrade to higher-level gear).

At the moment the priority is to have something both myself as the colourist and the client can look at that is within an acceptable margin for SDR Rec709. We have a ProDisplay XDR and then some Sony OLED TVs already in our suites as offline client monitors. Have been looking at a SypderX Elite to calibrate the OLEDs while using the ProDisplay in the Rec709 ref mode as the my reference monitor.

I saw these 32" LG OLEDs which, if calibrated, seem like they could be a good step up from the XDR for my use case.

If anyone has insights on quality of these monitors or a recommended display probe to get us in the ballpark for web content, I'm all ears!