Az Kola

GeForce RTX2080/3080 or Quadro RTX5000

Hi All

I am trying to decide what to get for my Workstation HP Z840, specifically to work with 4K VFX/GFX on Fusion Page.

I have been advised that RTX3080 is not compatible with HP Z840 PC and that I should instead use Quadro RTX 5000 

Is GTX2080 compatible with HP Z840 and better use then RTX 5000

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance

Az

Edited by Az Kola
12 hours ago, Az Kola said:

Hi All

I am trying to decide what to get for my Workstation HP Z840, specifically to work with 4K VFX/GFX on Fusion Page.

I have been advised that RTX3080 is not compatible with HP Z840 PC and that I should instead use Quadro RTX 5000 

Is GTX2080 compatible with HP Z840 and better use then RTX 5000

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance

Az

Hi, Az.

I’ve been specking out a system with a company called Z Workstations. Send a message to them and Jonathan should be able to answer your question.

I'd like to know why you were told that the 3080 isn't compatible with the Z840.

It may be that the power requirements are beyond the PSU if you don't have the 1125W version (which is specced at  1450W if you're on 220 volt mains).

These are very new cards, so there's not a lot of info about them regarding the Z840s. 

Have a look at this discussion on the HP website...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-Nvidia-3080-amp-3090-cards-on-HP-Z840-WS-1125w-220v/td-p/7787780

I suspect the biggest problems is getting hold of one of these cards at a reasonable price since they're going to be in short supply.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:00 AM, Craig Harris said:

Hi, Az.

I’ve been specking out a system with a company called Z Workstations. Send a message to them and Jonathan should be able to answer your question.

Thanks Craig, we are actually going to spec a complete new system instead because it looks like too much headache trying to source specific parts for the current Z840 we have. The website you suggested is very interesting. 

On 11/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Bruno Mansi said:

I'd like to know why you were told that the 3080 isn't compatible with the Z840.

It may be that the power requirements are beyond the PSU if you don't have the 1125W version (which is specced at  1450W if you're on 220 volt mains).

These are very new cards, so there's not a lot of info about them regarding the Z840s. 

Have a look at this discussion on the HP website...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-Nvidia-3080-amp-3090-cards-on-HP-Z840-WS-1125w-220v/td-p/7787780

I suspect the biggest problems is getting hold of one of these cards at a reasonable price since they're going to be in short supply.

Thanks Bruno, I  actually came across that forum too and that's where it started becoming a thing of the past for the Z840, again starting to source specific parts seems a little too much and also we were thinking of added 2 x RTX3080 to the workstation and Z840 PC we have are little limited for space for the second card.

So new PC looks like the way.