Thomas Singh

Copy a Fusion clip from a HD timeline to a timline with different aspect

I have the worlds most annoying problem that I hope you can help me with.

I have a HD 1920x1080 timeline with many effects that I have done inside of the Fusion tab in Resolve. Everything works well until I copy the Fusion clips and paste them into timeline with a different aspect ratio such as a square or vertical one. Then all of the sudden, the effects such as a roto of a hand with that is composited on top  of the clip below in the main timeline goes crazy, re-positions, twists and turns in all direction. What is going on here? I have tried to manually just reposition the clips but it's not that simple.  

23 hours ago, Thomas Singh said:

I have the worlds most annoying problem that I hope you can help me with.

I have a HD 1920x1080 timeline with many effects that I have done inside of the Fusion tab in Resolve. Everything works well until I copy the Fusion clips and paste them into timeline with a different aspect ratio such as a square or vertical one. Then all of the sudden, the effects such as a roto of a hand with that is composited on top  of the clip below in the main timeline goes crazy, re-positions, twists and turns in all direction. What is going on here? I have tried to manually just reposition the clips but it's not that simple.  

You might try matching the domain in Fusion to the new timeline resolution. You can do this by adding a Resize tool or one of the Domain tools right before MediaOut.

4 hours ago, Thomas Singh said:

After having looked closer to it, it looks like the scaling and crop matches, but that the roto of his hand (the polygon) is twisted. I have wired the polygon directly to the Media in, if that can have something to do with it?

Instead of dropping the original Fusion comp into a new timeline, trying dropping the original timeline (associated with the Fusion comp) into a new timeline. That seems to work for me. The roto comes through fine despite a difference in resolution between the two timelines. You can stack timelines and clips if you need to.

That could be a workaround, the problem is that the original timeline contains so many unwanted elements such as subtitles. I applied a resize (stretching it back to 1920x1080) after the polygon (and prior to the media1)  and that seems to work in this case.

I have done some more testing with copy/pasting fusion comps to different timelines with different aspect ratios, and it seems that if I copy the original fusion comp and paste it into a new 1:1 resolution timeline, it will crop everything outside of the square and it seems impossible to retrieve the lost pixels.

The trick with applying a resize prior to the media1 doesn't work in this case, in the example above it only stretched out the polygon shape to the original format (1920x1080) it was made in.

Edited by Thomas Singh